Re: [agileDatabases] Re: Database Refactoring in VSTS

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 15, 2006
      At 11:56 PM 6/14/2006, Thomas wrote:
      >It is true that many application developers do a lot of database
      >work, and I hope they will adopt the tools (actually the entire
      >suite) but I also need to reach out to those database professionals
      >who are not connected to the agile world, are not familiar with
      >terms like Refactoring and provide tools that work for organizations
      >that are more structured in their process and roles.

      This is a really good point. For years I've been writing about how
      the data community hasn't come up to speed on agile software
      development and as a result are falling further and further
      behind. Few people in that community are talking about agile, and
      those that do often dismiss it. There is a clear need for tools
      targeted specifically at that group. Although to agilists the
      concept of "IDE X for data professionals" is not exactly ideal, it's
      the only way that we're going to get data professionals to realize
      that they need to improve the way that they work.

      Scott W. Ambler :-)
      Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Rational
      www.ambysoft.com/scottAmbler.html
      Every organization gets the process that it deserves.

      Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design
      (www.ambysoft.com/books/refactoringDatabases.html) is now available.