Re: [agile-usability] usability-centric done-ness tests

  • Lynn Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2004
      Jeff Patton wrote:
      > If a usability person were to give help on testing for feature done-
      > ness to testers, feature-owners, and developers, what would that
      > be?
      >
      > I'm curious what advice/guidance usability people might have for the
      > three groups above?

      In our company the usability person is responsible for writing the
      acceptance criteria for the interface for each feature (which works for
      us because we also have designed each feature).

      It is then that usability person's responsibility to test the feature
      against the acceptance criteria once the developer says it is done. If
      it doesn't pass then the developer fixes whatever problems there are
      with it.

      The QA (quality assurance) person is responsible for testing for things
      like crashes, memory leaks, and strange behaviour.

      We would have already done usability tests on the feature before the
      developer started on it so we know that we don't have to do any major
      changes once it is in. (We do both low and/or high fidelity prototypes
      of designs and test these with users.) So our acceptance testing is
      really just to make sure that it was implemented correctly and that the
      feature works well with others.

      This really works well for us.

      Lynn Miller
      Alias