RE: [agile-usability] Splitting UCD (was UED and Agile)

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
      On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 16:22 +0000, Stephanie Chamberlain wrote:

      > Extreme programming seems less able to integrate we UCD in our
      > experience though I'd love to hear from anyone who has found this not
      > to be the case.

      Hi, Stephanie. Could you tell us more about the specific problems you've
      had?

      I recently did a nine-month XP project where the product manager (in XP
      terms, the Customer) was also the UI designer and a passionate believer
      in user-centered design. We all thought it went quite well.

      Perhaps if you describe some of your issues I could describe the parts
      of what we did.

      William Pietri <william@...>
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Powers"
        <rachelpowers@c...> wrote:
        > Does anbody have any great tips, resources, stories to share on the
        > best ways to integrate User Experience Design into the Agile
        > process?

        If I have a "thing" this is it... but, information I have on the
        subject is still pretty incomplete. There's a section in Cockburn's
        Crystal Clear on the subject
        [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201699478/qid=1103090953/sr=2
        -1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-3899669-1706466] This paper, now a little
        dated and containing a few typos describes combining usage centered
        design and agile approaches:
        http://www.abstractics.com/papers/AddingU-CDToAgileDevelopment.pdf
        This presentation: http://ebe.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/ebe/attach?
        page=Root.CASCON2004WS%2FJeff.ppt gives slides I use for a standard
        presentation on this subject. The slides suffer without the dialogue
        behind them. But, the basic gist is I've overlaid Jesse James
        Garrett's very useful Elements of User Experience model on my agile
        development lifecycle model. The result is some guideance on the
        type of UCD stuff to be doing at particular points of the agile
        development lifecycle.
        I'm currently working on more in print. Watch this list for somee
        self serving announcements when it's available. At that time I'll be
        looking for the opinions of the very smart people subscribing to this
        list.

        Please post any specific questions you have as you come across them.
        Thanks for posting!

        -Jeff

        > I work for a large company that is considering switching
        > from a waterfall method to Agile/SCRUM. Are there any particular
        > books or Websites that you recommend to look at. The UED group
        > consists of user researchers, interaction designers, visual
        > designers and developers. Questions that I'd like to find input on
        > include:
        >
        > How do you integrate user research in 4 week cycles? (market
        > research, user research, interviews, ethnography, longitudinal
        > studies, usability testing)
        > When should UED be included in the overall plan? (currently UED is
        > brought in at conception)
        > What is the best way for a user-cetered development process to
        > thrive while being "whole."
        > What are the pros and cons of Agile for UED?
        >
        > I'm sure that there are other people on this list that have gone
        > from a waterfall development cycle to Agile. Does anybody have any
        > stories or best practices to share?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Rachel Powers
        > UED lead
        > San Francisco, CA
      • daveb
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2004
          Rachel,

          Lisa Baker and I have been working to integrate many aspects of UCD with
          an XP process for the last couple of years at our company. We make a
          shrink-wrapped product, and have a fairly short release cycle.

          We have found the personae concept to resonate fairly well with our
          developers. We do a fair amount of research (somewhat asynchronously)
          with our users to find out what they have in common. We use contextual
          inquiry to get the data and to make sure we have a firm grasp of what
          our user truly needs.
          Once we have the data in place, we can refer to it as the personae are
          created. We work diligently to make sure we present information that we
          have data concerning. The personae are then presented to the
          programmers at the start of the project, focusing on the aspects that
          help them understand.

          This has also helped our marketing team understand their role a bit
          better as customer representative and helped the contribute in a more
          meaningful way as well. Since at times we can't always get one of real
          customers to supply answers, we can always come back to our data set
          from the CI and refer to that.

          david broschinsky
          sr. interaction designer
          landesk software, inc.

          daveb at startide dot net, david dot broschinsky at landesk dot com