RE: [agile-usability] Splitting UCD (was UED and Agile)

  • Stephanie Chamberlain
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
      Message
      Methods such as Scrum allow for an upfront period of design where this kind of work can take place.  Here at the BBC we've tried to use an integrated approach where designers and developers work iteratively together (using paper prototypes and user testing for example).  Designers typically have a period of weeks in which to research the users and in some cases the whole project team has been involved in putting together personas etc.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  It does require a change in mind-set for both the development and design team.  The design team needs to become used to working alongside the development team and "feeding" them with assets and prototypes, while the project managers need to be aware of the different time-scales each discipline works to.  It's often not recognised that the use of Agile methods is a change for production teams and therefore needs to be managed as such.  There is little point in throwing people together who know nothing about the method chosen and expecting them to change the way they do things to make it work.

      Extreme programming seems less able to integrate we UCD in our experience though I'd love to hear from anyone who has found this not to be the case.

      Stephanie Chamberlain

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
        On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 16:22 +0000, Stephanie Chamberlain wrote:

        > Extreme programming seems less able to integrate we UCD in our
        > experience though I'd love to hear from anyone who has found this not
        > to be the case.

        Hi, Stephanie. Could you tell us more about the specific problems you've
        had?

        I recently did a nine-month XP project where the product manager (in XP
        terms, the Customer) was also the UI designer and a passionate believer
        in user-centered design. We all thought it went quite well.

        Perhaps if you describe some of your issues I could describe the parts
        of what we did.

        William Pietri <william@...>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Powers"
          <rachelpowers@c...> wrote:
          > Does anbody have any great tips, resources, stories to share on the
          > best ways to integrate User Experience Design into the Agile
          > process?

          If I have a "thing" this is it... but, information I have on the
          subject is still pretty incomplete. There's a section in Cockburn's
          Crystal Clear on the subject
          [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201699478/qid=1103090953/sr=2
          -1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-3899669-1706466] This paper, now a little
          dated and containing a few typos describes combining usage centered
          design and agile approaches:
          http://www.abstractics.com/papers/AddingU-CDToAgileDevelopment.pdf
          This presentation: http://ebe.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/ebe/attach?
          page=Root.CASCON2004WS%2FJeff.ppt gives slides I use for a standard
          presentation on this subject. The slides suffer without the dialogue
          behind them. But, the basic gist is I've overlaid Jesse James
          Garrett's very useful Elements of User Experience model on my agile
          development lifecycle model. The result is some guideance on the
          type of UCD stuff to be doing at particular points of the agile
          development lifecycle.
          I'm currently working on more in print. Watch this list for somee
          self serving announcements when it's available. At that time I'll be
          looking for the opinions of the very smart people subscribing to this
          list.

          Please post any specific questions you have as you come across them.
          Thanks for posting!

          -Jeff

          > I work for a large company that is considering switching
          > from a waterfall method to Agile/SCRUM. Are there any particular
          > books or Websites that you recommend to look at. The UED group
          > consists of user researchers, interaction designers, visual
          > designers and developers. Questions that I'd like to find input on
          > include:
          >
          > How do you integrate user research in 4 week cycles? (market
          > research, user research, interviews, ethnography, longitudinal
          > studies, usability testing)
          > When should UED be included in the overall plan? (currently UED is
          > brought in at conception)
          > What is the best way for a user-cetered development process to
          > thrive while being "whole."
          > What are the pros and cons of Agile for UED?
          >
          > I'm sure that there are other people on this list that have gone
          > from a waterfall development cycle to Agile. Does anybody have any
          > stories or best practices to share?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Rachel Powers
          > UED lead
          > San Francisco, CA
        • daveb
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 15, 2004
            Rachel,

            Lisa Baker and I have been working to integrate many aspects of UCD with
            an XP process for the last couple of years at our company. We make a
            shrink-wrapped product, and have a fairly short release cycle.

            We have found the personae concept to resonate fairly well with our
            developers. We do a fair amount of research (somewhat asynchronously)
            with our users to find out what they have in common. We use contextual
            inquiry to get the data and to make sure we have a firm grasp of what
            our user truly needs.
            Once we have the data in place, we can refer to it as the personae are
            created. We work diligently to make sure we present information that we
            have data concerning. The personae are then presented to the
            programmers at the start of the project, focusing on the aspects that
            help them understand.

            This has also helped our marketing team understand their role a bit
            better as customer representative and helped the contribute in a more
            meaningful way as well. Since at times we can't always get one of real
            customers to supply answers, we can always come back to our data set
            from the CI and refer to that.

            david broschinsky
            sr. interaction designer
            landesk software, inc.

            daveb at startide dot net, david dot broschinsky at landesk dot com