UED and Agile

  • Rachel Powers
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2004
      Does anbody have any great tips, resources, stories to share on the
      best ways to integrate User Experience Design into the Agile
      process? I work for a large company that is considering switching
      from a waterfall method to Agile/SCRUM. Are there any particular
      books or Websites that you recommend to look at. The UED group
      consists of user researchers, interaction designers, visual
      designers and developers. Questions that I'd like to find input on
      include:

      How do you integrate user research in 4 week cycles? (market
      research, user research, interviews, ethnography, longitudinal
      studies, usability testing)
      When should UED be included in the overall plan? (currently UED is
      brought in at conception)
      What is the best way for a user-cetered development process to
      thrive while being "whole."
      What are the pros and cons of Agile for UED?

      I'm sure that there are other people on this list that have gone
      from a waterfall development cycle to Agile. Does anybody have any
      stories or best practices to share?

      Thanks,

      Rachel Powers
      UED lead
      San Francisco, CA
    • Marc Robichaud
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
        > Does anbody have any great tips, resources, stories to share on the
        > best ways to integrate User Experience Design into the Agile process?
        > How do you integrate user research in 4 week cycles?

        So I am new, this may have already been discussed and don't have
        "experience" so forgive my terminology. Here's my view....

        Everything that I've discussed/learned about Agile so far focuses on the 4
        week design/development cycle. But before that even starts there is the
        definition of the work groups. That is, setting up the hopper of features
        that will be built.

        The user-centered design needs to be split at the same point. User
        definition, field research, surveys, interviews, end-user testing of the
        existing solution should occur prior to the 4 week cycle. This information
        is used to prioritize the features along with the marketing/business
        drivers.

        Getting user input during the design/development cycle would be tough and I
        don't have any experience/knowledge to speak to. I would think that it would
        be more of interaction design, apply the user data to the interface. Agile
        is a very Technology/Project Management focused process (no worse than UML)
        and puts responsibility into the hands of programmers. I haven't heard a
        solution of how to effectively interject Interaction Design as a role or
        practice into the 4 week cycle when Agile assumes that coding starts right
        away. My experience has been that good interaction design heavily effects
        workflow and coding. Doing some tweaks after a usability test is relatively
        simple in comparison. I'm sure some early whiteboarding/wireframes could be
        done over a day or two and would make a big difference. These are rather
        small set of features after all. I would think that end-user testing could
        easily be completed during the design/development cycle, if a fast and dirty
        approach was taken.

        Marc Robichaud
        Information Architect
        Critical Mass

        marcr[at]criticalmass.com
      • Stephanie Chamberlain
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
          Message
          Methods such as Scrum allow for an upfront period of design where this kind of work can take place.  Here at the BBC we've tried to use an integrated approach where designers and developers work iteratively together (using paper prototypes and user testing for example).  Designers typically have a period of weeks in which to research the users and in some cases the whole project team has been involved in putting together personas etc.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  It does require a change in mind-set for both the development and design team.  The design team needs to become used to working alongside the development team and "feeding" them with assets and prototypes, while the project managers need to be aware of the different time-scales each discipline works to.  It's often not recognised that the use of Agile methods is a change for production teams and therefore needs to be managed as such.  There is little point in throwing people together who know nothing about the method chosen and expecting them to change the way they do things to make it work.

          Extreme programming seems less able to integrate we UCD in our experience though I'd love to hear from anyone who has found this not to be the case.

          Stephanie Chamberlain

          > Does anbody have any great tips, resources, stories to share on the
          > best ways to integrate User Experience Design into the Agile process?
          > How do you integrate user research in 4 week cycles?

          So I am new, this may have already been discussed and don't have
          "experience" so forgive my terminology. Here's my view....

          Everything that I've discussed/learned about Agile so far focuses on the 4
          week design/development cycle. But before that even starts there is the
          definition of the work groups. That is, setting up the hopper of features
          that will be built.

          The user-centered design needs to be split at the same point. User
          definition, field research, surveys, interviews, end-user testing of the
          existing solution should occur prior to the 4 week cycle. This information
          is used to prioritize the features along with the marketing/business
          drivers.

          Getting user input during the design/development cycle would be tough and I
          don't have any experience/knowledge to speak to. I would think that it would
          be more of interaction design, apply the user data to the interface. Agile
          is a very Technology/Project Management focused process (no worse than UML)
          and puts responsibility into the hands of programmers. I haven't heard a
          solution of how to effectively interject Interaction Design as a role or
          practice into the 4 week cycle when Agile assumes that coding starts right
          away. My experience has been that good interaction design heavily effects
          workflow and coding. Doing some tweaks after a usability test is relatively
          simple in comparison. I'm sure some early whiteboarding/wireframes could be
          done over a day or two and would make a big difference. These are rather
          small set of features after all. I would think that end-user testing could
          easily be completed during the design/development cycle, if a fast and dirty
          approach was taken.

          Marc Robichaud
          Information Architect
          Critical Mass

          marcr[at]criticalmass.com

          http://www.bbc.co.uk/

          stated.
          BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
            On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 16:22 +0000, Stephanie Chamberlain wrote:

            > Extreme programming seems less able to integrate we UCD in our
            > experience though I'd love to hear from anyone who has found this not
            > to be the case.

            Hi, Stephanie. Could you tell us more about the specific problems you've
            had?

            I recently did a nine-month XP project where the product manager (in XP
            terms, the Customer) was also the UI designer and a passionate believer
            in user-centered design. We all thought it went quite well.

            Perhaps if you describe some of your issues I could describe the parts
            of what we did.

            William Pietri <william@...>
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
              --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Powers"
              <rachelpowers@c...> wrote:
              > Does anbody have any great tips, resources, stories to share on the
              > best ways to integrate User Experience Design into the Agile
              > process?

              If I have a "thing" this is it... but, information I have on the
              subject is still pretty incomplete. There's a section in Cockburn's
              Crystal Clear on the subject
              [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201699478/qid=1103090953/sr=2
              -1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-3899669-1706466] This paper, now a little
              dated and containing a few typos describes combining usage centered
              design and agile approaches:
              http://www.abstractics.com/papers/AddingU-CDToAgileDevelopment.pdf
              This presentation: http://ebe.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/ebe/attach?
              page=Root.CASCON2004WS%2FJeff.ppt gives slides I use for a standard
              presentation on this subject. The slides suffer without the dialogue
              behind them. But, the basic gist is I've overlaid Jesse James
              Garrett's very useful Elements of User Experience model on my agile
              development lifecycle model. The result is some guideance on the
              type of UCD stuff to be doing at particular points of the agile
              development lifecycle.
              I'm currently working on more in print. Watch this list for somee
              self serving announcements when it's available. At that time I'll be
              looking for the opinions of the very smart people subscribing to this
              list.

              Please post any specific questions you have as you come across them.
              Thanks for posting!

              -Jeff

              > I work for a large company that is considering switching
              > from a waterfall method to Agile/SCRUM. Are there any particular
              > books or Websites that you recommend to look at. The UED group
              > consists of user researchers, interaction designers, visual
              > designers and developers. Questions that I'd like to find input on
              > include:
              >
              > How do you integrate user research in 4 week cycles? (market
              > research, user research, interviews, ethnography, longitudinal
              > studies, usability testing)
              > When should UED be included in the overall plan? (currently UED is
              > brought in at conception)
              > What is the best way for a user-cetered development process to
              > thrive while being "whole."
              > What are the pros and cons of Agile for UED?
              >
              > I'm sure that there are other people on this list that have gone
              > from a waterfall development cycle to Agile. Does anybody have any
              > stories or best practices to share?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Rachel Powers
              > UED lead
              > San Francisco, CA
            • daveb
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 15, 2004
                Rachel,

                Lisa Baker and I have been working to integrate many aspects of UCD with
                an XP process for the last couple of years at our company. We make a
                shrink-wrapped product, and have a fairly short release cycle.

                We have found the personae concept to resonate fairly well with our
                developers. We do a fair amount of research (somewhat asynchronously)
                with our users to find out what they have in common. We use contextual
                inquiry to get the data and to make sure we have a firm grasp of what
                our user truly needs.
                Once we have the data in place, we can refer to it as the personae are
                created. We work diligently to make sure we present information that we
                have data concerning. The personae are then presented to the
                programmers at the start of the project, focusing on the aspects that
                help them understand.

                This has also helped our marketing team understand their role a bit
                better as customer representative and helped the contribute in a more
                meaningful way as well. Since at times we can't always get one of real
                customers to supply answers, we can always come back to our data set
                from the CI and refer to that.

                david broschinsky
                sr. interaction designer
                landesk software, inc.

                daveb at startide dot net, david dot broschinsky at landesk dot com