RE: [agile-usability] Customer vs user

  • Charlie Trainor
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 4, 2004
      I'm happy with the term "Customer", but if you don't like that
      I suggest the Scrum role "Product Owner". In different situations
      this might be a Product Manager, an end user, a business expert,
      or even a committee - whoever makes the decisions on what the
      development team builds.

      Currently I'm playing the Product Owner role, even though there
      is also someone with the title of Product Manager, various
      business experts, partners, end users, and other stakeholders.
      I seek input from all of them, and some of them have a lot of
      influence over me, but in the end I'm the single hand on the
      development team's steering wheel.

      Since this is an agile usability list - but I've lost track of the
      original post that started all this - I'll just point out that
      Product Owners need to be able to weigh the costs and benefits of
      usability-related activities, just like other development activities.
      If there is a usability professional available, that person
      would be one of the experts providing input into the decision
      making process. The biggest risk (for me currently, but also
      quite a common problem) is not getting enough feedback from
      end users. But at least it is clear that it will be my fault
      if the usability of the product isn't up to scratch - we can't
      point fingers at each other and wonder who was supposed to
      worry about it.

      - Charlie