RE: [agile-usability] alternatives to user roles or personas - Email found in subject

  • Baker, Lisa
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004

      Keith -

      A question about your  “be the user” process where the developer works side-by-side with the customer.

      1 – How do you generalize the data? One customer doesn’t behave exactly like another customer or one customer’s environment isn’t exactly like another customer’s environment? Sometimes I see people doing a knee jerk reaction to “this customer said” without thinking through the big picture. Do you see this as an issue?

      2 – How do you share the customer knowledge wealth with the team? Or do you? My experience with developers going on customer visits or beta visits is that they share next-to-no information with the rest of the team, so the knowledge is contained in one persons head or disappears when they forget it or move on.

      3 – How long does ‘be the user’ last? Hours? Days?

      4 – Do you find the ‘be the user’ process expensive in terms of resource availability?

      Thanks.

      Lisa

      Lisa Baker

      Interaction Design Lead

      LANDesk Software, Inc.

      Lisa.baker@...

      801.208.1315

      "Simplifying our customers' work"

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
        1.  The point about being the user is not to generalize but experience a very specific real life situation.  To appreciate the reality of using your own software. As the saying goes, the devil is in the details, so its good to experience some of the details.   Knee jerk reactions are a problem whatever the case.  "this customer said" is still valuable information but it does need to be blended in the the "big picture".  "be the user" is all about understanding the reality of the software/domain rather than having a abstract notion of the software/domain.

        So how do you deal with "knee jerk" reactions?  One thing about agile teams is that they rely on collaboration.  the "customer" has to talk and work with developers.   Developers work in pairs and have to negotiate with each other.   Occasionally you will get times where there's disagreement and it has to be resolved, what I have seen is the whole teams gets pulled into the disagreement and the team sorts it out.   Sometimes it can work like magic, sometimes it can get a bit ugly :-)

        2.  Half the point about "be the user" is that it is a learning experience that you can't be "told" about. Either because you can't absorb it if your told, or that its too easy to not appreciate the reality.  What "be the user" does is create tacit knowledge that shapes people thinking. It is important that the whole team gets to "be the user".  Once people have been the user then when they share their experiences they have a lot more empathy for others experience, or empathy for the users experience.  And yes, when any person leaves, some information is lost, but its information that is really hard to told to someone, its something that you need to experience.

        3. Depends on the product.   If your doing web based shopping, maybe will take you an hour to have browse around and purchase something.  For a large industrial control system, you can spend a couple of days doing it.

        4. Yes.  It can be.  But only because its an in your face cost that you have to directly face.   Which is better than a kick you in the butt cost that hits you when your not prepared for it.  For us, it is hugely costly, it can involve flying people around the world, seasonal constraints, availability constraints, time constraints, etc.

        Note: "Be the User" doesn't replace having to talk to your users and understand the different types of users.