Re: [agile-usability] Implementing the agile customer, was: Custo mer vs user

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      Kent Beck once said that he considered the division between Customer and
      Programmer in XP to be a flaw, but that he couldn't see how to get rid of
      it. With that in mind ...

      On Wednesday, December 1, 2004, at 10:08:41 AM, Desilets, Alain wrote:

      > Usability/UCD people recommend specific functionality based their
      > research - so are they part of the customer team?

      They are members of the team. They are acting in the Customer role.

      > Usability/UCD people might precisely design the user interface and
      > user interactions. UI designers often act a bit like programmers and
      > find themselves on the developer team. Are they developers?

      They are members of the team. They are acting in the Programmer role.

      > Usability/UCD often do user centric testing. Are they testers?

      I'd need to know more about what they're doing. Sometimes testers act in
      Customer Role, sometimes (rarely) in Programmer role.

      > Usability/UCD work often supports or validates marketing work. Are
      > they deep in the business side of the customer team?

      Sounds like they are members of the team working in Customer role.

      > In an ideal world, how would a usability person help to implement a
      > customer role? Would they help implement other roles? What's an
      > example of an agile process involving UCD people in a healthy way.
      > [I can elaborate on way I think is healthy, but I'd like to hear
      > with thoughts on the subject - including Ron ;-) ]

      I've not worked with a team using UCD experts. Jeff Patton and others have,
      and they know more about that than I would.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      Accroche toi a ton reve. --ELO