[agile-usability] The king is one of many

  • Chris Pehura
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 1, 2004
      Message
      Myself, I've seen power struggles between more than one "king". A specific instance was where a programmer was the king, the director above him was the surf and the business analyst, a vassel. And the business owner, he was another king. The owner had to keep recruiting vassels from the programmer, with not much success. It was a "strange" environment.

      Who has the power and influence may not necessarily be the ideal king.

      For winning people over, I usually get people to do the work of their subordinates or "the guys in the other department" and let them experience the "problems" and environment. Once communication changes open up, things usually smooth out and shift. To smooth things out, I've seen other tactics such as "bullying"/fear, political tiptoe-ing, removing titles and changing methodologies/processes. Found it's the practitioner, not the method that determines "success".

      Any other methods out there?
      Message 75 of 75 , Feb 26, 2005
        Great link. Thanks. Even if it was mentioned, it is worth repeating.

        - Petteri

        Cummins, Darin wrote:
        > This has probably already been mentioned but there is a Java
        > Look-And-Feel (skin) called Napkin that makes the entire UI (even a
        > working one) look like it was drawn on a napkin.
        >

        > http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net <http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/>
        >

        > Ken Arnold created this PLAF for exactly the reason you are discussing
        > here: to make a prototype provisional so stake holders won’t say “Great,
        > the UI is done so we should be ready to deliver in a few days”.
        >

        > --Darin

        Petteri Hiisilä
        Palveluarkkitehti / Interaction Designer /
        Alma Media Interactive Oy / NWS /
        +358505050123 / petteri.hiisila@...

        "I was told there's a miracle for each day that I try"
        - John Petrucci