Re: Back to partial UI design before coding

  • aacockburn
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 26, 2004
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Meads" <jon@u...> wrote:

      > But let's move away from the > absolutes. We don't need to
      complete interaction design before we begin > programming but there
      should be a certain amount done up front. The question > of how much
      that is should be a topic of discussion. And we don't need to > hold
      off all programming before we have significant amount of the >
      interaction design done. What coding can be done early and what
      should be done later is another topic of discussion.

      I'm a big fan of concurrent development, so I'm on board with this.

      This eGroup started out with this topic, but I'm not sure it got
      specific enough. I don't think I've heard/seen anyone articulate how
      to detect or identify the point at which that shift occurs.

      Any suggestions?

      Alistair
    • Petteri Hiisilä
      Message 75 of 75 , Feb 26, 2005
        Great link. Thanks. Even if it was mentioned, it is worth repeating.

        - Petteri

        Cummins, Darin wrote:
        > This has probably already been mentioned but there is a Java
        > Look-And-Feel (skin) called Napkin that makes the entire UI (even a
        > working one) look like it was drawn on a napkin.
        >

        > http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net <http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/>
        >

        > Ken Arnold created this PLAF for exactly the reason you are discussing
        > here: to make a prototype provisional so stake holders won’t say “Great,
        > the UI is done so we should be ready to deliver in a few days”.
        >

        > --Darin

        Petteri Hiisilä
        Palveluarkkitehti / Interaction Designer /
        Alma Media Interactive Oy / NWS /
        +358505050123 / petteri.hiisila@...

        "I was told there's a miracle for each day that I try"
        - John Petrucci