RE: [agile-usability] The missing manifesto

  • Jade Ohlhauser
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 24, 2004
      Message
      This relates to something I'm personally familiar with. You build a really good prototype. Maybe too good because a "suit" says "That looks great, why can't we just sell that?". Did that risk come up in your graduate work? Or does anyone else have experience with that situation?

      In my case in the end the geeks won and the prototype remained just that. The whole situation sort of bugged me though because we were so adamant right from the start that this was just a "one-off" technology demonstration. "It will never be used". "It will be thrown away". "It will be built quickly using gum and duct tape for a fast demo but that means it can never be the base for production code", and on ad nauseam. Yes, they agreed, this will only be to demo to some potential clients who will then pay for the "real" work. (d'oh) Would it have helped if I got that in writing? :) (no)

      Anyway I think this has to do with the fact that for non-techies, the interface is the application. As we all know, in reality software's like an iceberg where what you can see is the minority of the total work/cost. This plays heavily into the psychology of prototypes and demonstrations. Example: If part of the application isn't ready make sure that part of the interface doesn't "look ready" when demoing or they won't get why it's still 6 months to being done. Also, you could have something totally done except the interface polish, but that means it won't look done at all. In the end I think this all meshes very well with a more agile development strategy. Thoughts?

      Jade Ohlhauser
      Product Manager
      RPM Software
      www.rpmsoftware.com 403-265-6727

      Message 75 of 75 , Feb 26, 2005
        Great link. Thanks. Even if it was mentioned, it is worth repeating.

        - Petteri

        Cummins, Darin wrote:
        > This has probably already been mentioned but there is a Java
        > Look-And-Feel (skin) called Napkin that makes the entire UI (even a
        > working one) look like it was drawn on a napkin.
        >

        > http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net <http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/>
        >

        > Ken Arnold created this PLAF for exactly the reason you are discussing
        > here: to make a prototype provisional so stake holders won’t say “Great,
        > the UI is done so we should be ready to deliver in a few days”.
        >

        > --Darin

        Petteri Hiisilä
        Palveluarkkitehti / Interaction Designer /
        Alma Media Interactive Oy / NWS /
        +358505050123 / petteri.hiisila@...

        "I was told there's a miracle for each day that I try"
        - John Petrucci