RE: [agile-usability] The missing manifesto

  • Myhill, Carl S (GE Energy)
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 23, 2004
      Message
      Keith

      Perhaps there are some common principles which could be written down. Maybe the ISO standards have something which can be plucked from them http://www.usability.serco.com/trump/resources/standards.htm

      In my experience, "involve the user" is not enough, so I would not make that my number 1. I'd make No.1 - get an interaction designer on the team, to own the design. If nobody owns the design, it wont be designed coherrently. I've seen lots of situations where users were involved in a project which turned out to be junk. The involvement of users needs to be managed (with appropriate sampling), the input properly handled and designed for.

      Yes, lots of processes do seem to like early feedback with users but lots dont too. Cooper's Goal-Directed Design process does not favour much testing with prototypes, but does favour lots of up front work with users to understand their needs.

      Note though, that low-fi prototypes, on paper, are probably best respected. "Keep off the glass" is often a key statement in interaction design (though I understand there is some debate on this with the Agile community) [*].

      Carl
      [* note that this is not a natural conclusion for me. My PhD was about the wonderful benefits of high fidelity prototypes in visual basic and how they can better be exploited to support design intent. I am reformed!]

      Message 75 of 75 , Feb 26 3:35 PM
        Great link. Thanks. Even if it was mentioned, it is worth repeating.

        - Petteri

        Cummins, Darin wrote:
        > This has probably already been mentioned but there is a Java
        > Look-And-Feel (skin) called Napkin that makes the entire UI (even a
        > working one) look like it was drawn on a napkin.
        >

        > http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net <http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/>
        >

        > Ken Arnold created this PLAF for exactly the reason you are discussing
        > here: to make a prototype provisional so stake holders won’t say “Great,
        > the UI is done so we should be ready to deliver in a few days”.
        >

        > --Darin

        Petteri Hiisilä
        Palveluarkkitehti / Interaction Designer /
        Alma Media Interactive Oy / NWS /
        +358505050123 / petteri.hiisila@...

        "I was told there's a miracle for each day that I try"
        - John Petrucci