Re: The missing manifesto

  • aacockburn
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 23, 2004
      I would first Ditto to what Robin wrote.

      then ...

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Myhill, Carl S (GE Energy)"
      <carl.myhill@p...> wrote:
      > Whilst I don't completely see how the Agile Manifesto helps people
      do XP the > right way, I can see that it steers people in the right
      direction.

      ... right. Not the former, the latter. That's what it's for.

      > But getting us to agree on a manifesto or process -
      > forget it!

      ... you might get people to agree on a manifesto without agreeing to
      a process.

      > So, I wish we did have a single recognised process that we all
      followed > rather than each individual inventing their own.

      ... I doubt that you even want that. Consider for a moment that you
      don't want that, that perhaps you want a dozen or an infinite number
      of processes --- that still doesn't stop you from agreeing on values
      and principles.

      > Does there exist in the UCD community some element of common
      ground? Some > general brief understanding of what we mean by UCD? -
      similar to the role > the agile manifesto serves to the agile
      community. I don't think there is - > but I could have missed
      something.

      ... I suspect there is, and a way to get at it is to ask, What
      distinguishes Them (those that don't believe in UCD in any flavor)
      from Us (those that argue amongst ourselves about the Best way to do
      UCD)?

      > And, it might be fair to ask agile people: do you believe > the
      agile community benefits from having this common understanding?

      ... Yes, it's what you wrote: "so all the PR doesn't need to come
      from me."

      Alistair
    • Petteri Hiisilä
      Message 75 of 75 , Feb 26, 2005
        Great link. Thanks. Even if it was mentioned, it is worth repeating.

        - Petteri

        Cummins, Darin wrote:
        > This has probably already been mentioned but there is a Java
        > Look-And-Feel (skin) called Napkin that makes the entire UI (even a
        > working one) look like it was drawn on a napkin.
        >

        > http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net <http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/>
        >

        > Ken Arnold created this PLAF for exactly the reason you are discussing
        > here: to make a prototype provisional so stake holders won’t say “Great,
        > the UI is done so we should be ready to deliver in a few days”.
        >

        > --Darin

        Petteri Hiisilä
        Palveluarkkitehti / Interaction Designer /
        Alma Media Interactive Oy / NWS /
        +358505050123 / petteri.hiisila@...

        "I was told there's a miracle for each day that I try"
        - John Petrucci