RE: [agile-usability] user tasks aren't stories

  • Keith Nicholas
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2004
      Hey Jeff,

      This sounds about right I think.  Not sure its a bad thing.

      A story is "a promise for a conversation".  During your "conversation" you work through the goals, and figure you will make "dumb UI 1.0".  You estimate it, you do it.  Next iteration you evaluate things again, and maybe from the same ucd task you figure you will make "dumb UI 1.0.0.1". I think the only important thing is that you can come up with the most important things to do for each iteration.

      I think the concept of "story" is :-

      A guide to make sure you are creating a slice of a system that works rather than a layer within a system that provides no direct value
      Its achievable within an iteration
      can be used to make value choices - and value can include - estimated time, cost, risk, etc

      If you were an XP teams customer and you were doing UCD "secretly".  Could you work out the most important thing to do every iteration?  Could you provide guidance to the developers during that iteration?  (not that Im suggesting you would want to work this way).   If so I don't think it really matters if you have a 1 to 1 mapping or not.

      That's my random thoughts anyways....

      Regards,

      Keith