Re: [agile-usability] Re: Software transformations - extending architectures

  • Michael Mahemoff
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2004

      > The problem is that it depends on what you are testing. If you are testing
      > pixels or mouse click locations, then GUI refactorings may cause problems:
      > the difference in appearance between a pop-up menu and a set of radio
      > buttons is substantial, but their functionality is essentially the same.
      > GUI refactoring (at least as I am thinking of
      > it) is changing the _GUI_design_ without changing the underlying
      > functionality just like code refactoring changes the _code_design_ without
      > changing behavior.
      >
      > -- Alain:
      > Whenever I test GUIs, I use a HumbleDialogBox kind of approach:
      >
      > http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/TheHumbleDialogBox.pdf
      >
      > This is a simple approach where each dialog is represented by a Model and a
      > View. The Model is an object that is pretty much presentation neutral. You
      > write your tests by invoking presentation neutral methods of the Model (ex:
      > doSelectDay(n) instead of dayList.doClickNthEntry(n)).

      A recurring theme in agile GUI development is to push as much
      functionality away from the GUI objects. Here is an interesting
      framework I came across recently, based on Webwork, which separates
      workflow from Swing components and therefore supports unit testing as
      much as possible on the GUI side.

      Pendulum: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pendulum/