Re: Software transformations - UI design made easy

    Message 1 of 110 , Oct 22, 2004
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Keith Nicholas
      <keith.nicholas@g...> wrote:
      > How do you know its *right* from a task model / user?

      There's not red/green bar to tell you. It's a subjective judgement.
      usability/message/761 says it better than I could. He gave an
      example about a tired engineer using software in the cramped cab of a
      pickup truck. A mouse driven user interface with tiny buttons and
      lots of detail on the screen isn't *right* for that sort of person.
      No boolean test for that - just an experienced person's best
      judgement. Without a user model telling Ron about that user and
      context of use, the odds of him guessing that big buttons, easy to
      read UI in dim light, and keybaordable UI - the odds of him or anyone
      guessing that was the correct UI would be pretty slim.

      > unit tests don't tell you if its right, they just tell you that the
      > software works as intended by the developer.

      It's similar for personas/roles. They give you a model to
      subjectively judge that the software is appropriate for this kind of
      user. If the persona/role doesn't accurately represent the person
      using it, your subjective evaluation my "run green" - but it doesn't
      prove it's right.

      > Acceptance testing
      > validates that the real working software is right as intended by the
      > customer. Releasing the software for use tests whether the intent
      of
      > the developers, user, and customer was right.

      Usability testing validates both the software, and the role and task
      models used to build them. Information learned from usability
      testing by real users should be fed back to the software to change
      it - and to the models to support intelligent addition and validation
      of future functionality.

      > The idea of course is that you release often so you can verify that
      > what you asked for is actually what you need. As the users,
      customer,
      > and developers gain this real feedback from each Release they make
      > better choices about what should go into the software next.

      As as been discussed before, sometimes frequent release to genuine
      users isn't possible. Today I'm working at a client where we're
      writing software that installs into hospitols for patient records.
      For lots of reasons, some of them legal, frequent release to actual
      users isn't possible. Even validation in labs by actual users is
      difficult. Doctors and nurses seem to be busy people - don't want to
      commit their time eaily. And them testing software in a comfortable
      office is very different than using it in a crowded noisy emergency
      room. A good model of the users and context of use along with good
      subjective validation against it is very valuable - literallly worth
      millions$.

      By the way, we are developing this software in a very agile way. We
      develop in 2 week iterations with frequent interal released validated
      by actual users. We have daily contact with clinical nurses helping
      us evaluate what we've done. But, even they find it helpful to
      remind them of the context of use as they're evaluating what we use.
      They find it helpful to remind them that a doctor might be using this
      bit, while the receptionist might be using this bit in a completely
      different context.

      > so "How would I know the UI is right without validating against that
      > user and task model?" - By observing whether the intended value is
      > gained by having real working software that gets used by a user.

      No offense intended - but that opinion seems naive. As I described
      above, it's difficult in some domains to get actual, in context, end
      user validation. The more software we develop without that
      validation, the more money and time we put at risk. In those
      situations, a role model/person is critical to helping the design be
      more right out of the chute - it reduces dollars risked.

      We all agree that real working software in the hands of real users is
      best. But, if that's not practical, what then?

      Thanks for you questions/comments!

      -Jeff
    • Chris Pehura
      Message 110 of 110 , Oct 27, 2004
        Message
        Jon - understood.
        Had similar experiences - dire consequences. They're the main reason I'm always having those stand up meetings, constantly verifying and validating.

        For that mention of "chaos", I was thinking about systematic change in systems.
        Over the years, I identified several for UIs, architecture, user-interaction and source code.
        From playing around, I got a straight forward generic notation and model to explain change.

        Wondering if any of you did or came across such generic "change models" and "notations".