Re: [agile-usability] Origins of user stories

  • spbyh
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
      I may have some of the original WIKI postings and emails from the CCC project back in the 90s where the term was used by Beck, Jeffries, Astels, Cunningham, et al. I do have some original Ron Jeffries user stories on cards and they are not in the Rachel Davis format which apparently started around 2005.  Ron put the estimate on the front of the card and the acceptance test on the back of the card, something that we didn't do.  I don't know who actually came up with the idea of using cards.
      If it can be traced back before CCC, you might have to go to the Smalltalk world, but I have the distinct impression the concept evolved out of the work done on CCC.
      =steve

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
        Just a bit more.  In 1989 Ward Cunningham and Kent Beck (then at Apple) gave a paper at OOPSLA89 which included the concept of the CRC card. I suspect that the CRC card evolved into the user story at CCC as a way to make it more 'user-friendly'. The concepts are similar.
        =steve

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
          I was a member of the Hillside Group along with Kent Beck and Ward Cunningham in
          1995/1996 and was present at the first 4 PLOP conferences. The following is my
          understanding of the origins of XP and User Stories based on my direct contacts
          with them in that time frame.

          CRC cards (co-invented by Ward and were used in domain modeling and represent a
          single domain object class and its responsibilities and collaborators. (See
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-responsibility-collaboration_card) The user
          story card represents something the Customer wanted the Dev Team to build for
          them. Other than both being written on cards, there is really no similarity. So
          the 1989 OOPSLA paper is a red herring.

          You might take a look at the PLOP 1995 paper called Episodes which is the first
          writing I'm aware of that describes the process that came to be called eXtreme
          Programming. (see http://c2.com/ppr/episodes.html) It doesn't mention User
          Stories by name but refer to "Implied Requirement" and "Work Split" for the
          seeds of the user story concept.

          Best wishes,

          Gerard

          On 3/26/2013 8:09 PM, spbroi@... wrote:
          > Just a bit more. In 1989 Ward Cunningham and Kent Beck (then at Apple) gave a
          > paper at OOPSLA89which included the concept of the CRC card. I suspect that the
          > CRC card evolved into the user story at CCC as a way to make it more
          > 'user-friendly'. The concepts are similar.
          > =steve

          Gerard Meszaros
          Lean/Agile Coach/Mentor/Trainer
          http://www.gerardmeszaros.com
          1-403-827-2967

          Author of the Jolt Productivity Award winning book "xUnit Test Patterns -
          Refactoring Test Code" and winner of the "Programming with the Stars"
          competition at Agile 2009. Learn more at http://xunitpatterns.com/index.html
        • Adam Sroka
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
            I can't remember who said it or the exact context, but I remember hearing that Ward and Kent really liked using cards for a variety of different things and that when stories came along it was just a natural fit.

            The CRC paper is no smoking gun, but it is evidence that using cards to think about the software they were creating was something they were already doing at least that early.

          • William Hudson
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013

              Many thanks to Steve, Gerard and Adam for their helpful additions.

              As an OO developer in the 1990’s I have heard of CRC cards, but it seems something of a jump (conceptually) to user stories. However, I have come across a 1994 paper at Interact that uses the term ‘user stories’ in the correct sense. The authors of that paper have adapted the term ‘war stories’ used in a 1986 paper from Xerox Parc called ‘Narratives at Work’ (does *everything* we do today come from Xerox Parc<g>?)

              I’d be really interested to see some of the original user stories if possible. From a UCD perspective the shift to roles is not really a benefit to users so it would be good to plot that development. Email me at whudson@... (if you’d prefer not to post them to the list).

              Regards,

              William

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                Hey William,

                On 27 March 2013 11:34, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote:
                > I’d be really interested to see some of the original user stories if
                > possible. From a UCD perspective the shift to roles is not really a benefit
                > to users so it would be good to plot that development.

                That's an interesting statement to me. Could you expand upon it?

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                  A role is a systemizing concept so really makes no allowance for needs of
                  the individual. Using it to represent users glosses over many of the
                  inter-role issues like role ambiguity, role incompatibility, role conflict
                  and so on. Of course, we have Ivar Jacobson and use cases to thank for
                  roles, and they're not entirely without merit, but someone filling role A in
                  one context of use may have quite different needs to someone filling the
                  same role in a different context.

                  Regards,

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                    I'd question whether the role slot in user stories often gets used in
                    that way. The use-case "role" and the user story "role" tend to be
                    used fairly differently in my experience.

                    We hit the same name - different usage problem again.

                    They're normally much closer to customer archetypes / persona in my
                    experience (indeed most agile ux folk I know who adopt the story
                    format slot persona into the role hole).

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                      Agilists who know little or nothing about usability/UCD do try to take roles
                      literally. I was talking with a client just a couple of weeks ago who
                      pointed this out as a problem with their introduction of UX design.

                      Regards,

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                        On 27 March 2013 12:22, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote:
                        > Agilists who know little or nothing about usability/UCD do try to take roles
                        > literally. I was talking with a client just a couple of weeks ago who
                        > pointed this out as a problem with their introduction of UX design.

                        My experiences differ.

                        It does happen - of course - but my experiences of teams, even those
                        without UX input, is that the roles are more often treated as market
                        segments / archetypes / etc.

                        They're certainly seem to treated much more generally than use-case type roles.

                        Possibly you're seeing teams who are primarily transferring from
                        use-cases to stories? In those situations it's certainly a common
                        problem.

                        t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward pinboard.in/u:adrianh
                      • Larry Constantine
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                          William said:

                          > A role is a systemizing concept so really makes no allowance for needs of
                          the individual. Using it to represent users glosses over many of the
                          inter-role issues like role ambiguity, role incompatibility, role conflict
                          and so on. Of course, we have Ivar Jacobson and use cases to thank for
                          roles, and they're not entirely without merit, but someone filling role A in
                          one context of use may have quite different needs to someone filling the
                          same role in a different context. <

                          The user role concept traces back to contributions from Rebecca Wirfs-Brock
                          and was developed and elaborated in usage-centered design and later
                          model-driven activity-centered design (Constantine and Lockwood). A role is
                          a relationship between users and a system or service and is defined (ala
                          Wirfs-Brock) by a characteristic set of needs, expectations, interests, and
                          responsibilities in relation to the system/service and in the context of the
                          activity in which the user is participating. As such, a user role focuses
                          precisely on those issues most salient to effective interaction design (see
                          my chapter in The Persona Lifecycle for persuasive support). That it blurs
                          or compresses "individual differences" is precisely why it is a more compact
                          and efficient model, particularly for agile design and development.
                          Individual incumbents in a role vary immensely; the role itself is are far
                          less variable. Individuals are extremely complicated; roles are far simpler.
                          A well-formulated role absolutely does make allowance for the needs of the
                          individual, but not as an individual, not as a person, but rather as an
                          individual in a particular activity and in a particular relationship to a
                          designed artifact.

                          The critical issue in modeling for agile IxD/UxD is to model only what is
                          most important to model, compactly and concisely, to focus on what is likely
                          to yield the biggest payoff in guidance toward an effective design in the
                          least amount of time. The templated user role profiles employed in
                          usage-centered design and human activity modeling do just that,
                          concentrating the modeler/designer's attention on those things that are most
                          likely to directly impact and shape the design.

                          The issues you mention-role ambiguity, role incompatibility, role
                          conflict-are interesting from an intellectual standpoint and often play some
                          part in a complete analysis of human activity (we incorporate them in our
                          application of activity-theory to educational research, for instance), but
                          the relationship of the actor in role to the designed artifact is far more
                          relevant to designing that system or service. Inter-role issues that may be
                          important in organizational dynamics or social psychology are typically far
                          less central to getting the design right.

                          In the most recent incarnation of the user role profile that we use in
                          model-driven agile design (not yet written up), we have reduced the template
                          further to include just 3 categories (ORB): Orientation, Responsibilities,
                          and Background. Orientation and attitude of the actor in role to focal
                          activities and to the designed artifact; Responsibilities of the actor in
                          role within focal activities and with the designed artifact; Background
                          characteristics expected in relation to use of the designed artifact within
                          focal activities. This is a vast simplification from the concept of role in
                          activity theory and role theory, but it zeroes in on the stuff that is most
                          likely to make a difference, covering the bases on a single index card.

                          Modeling efficiency and design leverage are behind most of my work and the
                          usage/activity-centered design community. It is why we favor concise role
                          profiles over the decorative embellishments of personas, why essential use
                          cases win out over traditional concrete use cases and scenarios.

                          Psychologists and humanists can plead for attention to the individual, but,
                          as Don Norman and I pointed out some years ago, that is precisely the
                          problem. It is the focus on humans, on individuals, that diverts our
                          attention from the more important focus on what people are doing and trying
                          to do, that is, on activity as mediated by designed artifacts. This badly
                          needed shift in focus was behind my development of human activity modeling
                          (with Don's encouragement and contributions) and then its adaptation to
                          agile design and development. We drive AD&D by activity models not to
                          capture a complete analysis embodied in those models but to move as quickly
                          and efficiently as possible toward good designs. That means concentrating on
                          roles and activities and glossing over stuff that is less critical to speedy
                          solutions.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                            Thanks, Larry. Very interesting. Do you know when Rebecca first started
                            talking about roles? I have a paper here from Jacobson dated 1987 that
                            describes their use in OO development.

                            BTW, I wasn't suggesting that designers of information systems should
                            thoroughly research roles and their interrelationships. My point is more
                            that roles are not a very useful focus of attention in many systems.

                            Regards,

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                              On 3/26/2013 10:03 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:
                              > I can't remember who said it or the exact context, but I remember hearing that
                              > Ward and Kent really liked using cards for a variety of different things and
                              > that when stories came along it was just a natural fit.

                              Yes, they used cards for all sorts of purposes including organizing
                              presentations by putting each thing they wanted to talk about onto a card. Easy
                              to reorganize the content simply by moving the card. Other agilist/OO people
                              have adopted this style of presentation "notes" most notably (Uncle) Bob Martin
                              (who rarely uses visuals in presentation) and Ron Jeffries (another CCC team
                              member.)

                              Gerard