RE: [agile-usability] Origins of user stories

  • William Hudson
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013

      Larry –

      Thanks for the clarification. I was coming to that conclusion myself even though the Google result in question seems to be dated 1993.

      Regards,

      William

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
        I'm moderately the certain that the term "user story" came out of the
        XP crowd (possibly via being called "customer stories" first - my
        memory is poor). The Scrum world talked about Product Backlog Items
        and Sprint Backlog Items.

        The things on the cards may well be similar though. You'd need to ask
        early Scrum team folk to be sure.

        So you may be looking for the same practice with a different name.

        The focus on the card being the token for the conversations that
        define the spec - rather than being the spec artefact in toto was
        something that came from the XP folk more. At least that was the
        impression I had in the late 90's.

        Adrian

        On 26 March 2013 11:48, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote:
        > Hi, Larry. Nice to hear from you.
        >

        > I have since come across a document entitled “User Stories Done Right:
        > Requirements” by Jeff Sutherland. However, it has a copyright footer that
        > reads ‘1993 – 2007’ so I’m trying to get in touch with Jeff to find the real
        > date. Since the term is in the article title I’m supposing that it might be
        > the earlier date.
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > William

        t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward pinboard.in/u:adrianh
      • spbyh
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
          I may have some of the original WIKI postings and emails from the CCC project back in the 90s where the term was used by Beck, Jeffries, Astels, Cunningham, et al. I do have some original Ron Jeffries user stories on cards and they are not in the Rachel Davis format which apparently started around 2005.  Ron put the estimate on the front of the card and the acceptance test on the back of the card, something that we didn't do.  I don't know who actually came up with the idea of using cards.
          If it can be traced back before CCC, you might have to go to the Smalltalk world, but I have the distinct impression the concept evolved out of the work done on CCC.
          =steve

          I'm moderately the certain that the term "user story" came out of the
          XP crowd (possibly via being called "customer stories" first - my
          memory is poor). The Scrum world talked about Product Backlog Items
          and Sprint Backlog Items.

          The things on the cards may well be similar though. You'd need to ask
          early Scrum team folk to be sure.

          So you may be looking for the same practice with a different name.

          The focus on the card being the token for the conversations that
          define the spec - rather than being the spec artefact in toto was
          something that came from the XP folk more. At least that was the
          impression I had in the late 90's.

          Adrian

          On 26 March 2013 11:48, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote: > Hi, Larry. Nice to hear from you. > > > > I have since come across a document entitled “User Stories Done Right: > Requirements” by Jeff Sutherland. However, it has a copyright footer that > reads ‘1993 – 2007’ so I’m trying to get in touch with Jeff to find the real > date. Since the term is in the article title I’m supposing that it might be > the earlier date. > > > > Regards, > > > > William > > > > From: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com > [mailto:agile-usability@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Larry Constantine > Sent: 26 March 2013 11:15 > To: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com > Subject: RE: [agile-usability] Origins of user stories > > > > > > > AFAIK, Kent Beck first introduced the term with its contemporary usage. Of > course, meanings evolve, and the user stories of the new century, especially > when written by the IxD team, are quite different from those from the early > days, which were far less focused and informed by IxD concerns. > > > > ~~Prof. Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow > > Universidade da Madeira | Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute > > > > [snipped] -- http://quietstars.com adrianh@... twitter.com/adrianh t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward pinboard.in/u:adrianh ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-usability/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-usability/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: agile-usability-digest@yahoogroups.com agile-usability-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: agile-usability-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • spbyh
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
            Just a bit more.  In 1989 Ward Cunningham and Kent Beck (then at Apple) gave a paper at OOPSLA89 which included the concept of the CRC card. I suspect that the CRC card evolved into the user story at CCC as a way to make it more 'user-friendly'. The concepts are similar.
            =steve

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
              I was a member of the Hillside Group along with Kent Beck and Ward Cunningham in
              1995/1996 and was present at the first 4 PLOP conferences. The following is my
              understanding of the origins of XP and User Stories based on my direct contacts
              with them in that time frame.

              CRC cards (co-invented by Ward and were used in domain modeling and represent a
              single domain object class and its responsibilities and collaborators. (See
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-responsibility-collaboration_card) The user
              story card represents something the Customer wanted the Dev Team to build for
              them. Other than both being written on cards, there is really no similarity. So
              the 1989 OOPSLA paper is a red herring.

              You might take a look at the PLOP 1995 paper called Episodes which is the first
              writing I'm aware of that describes the process that came to be called eXtreme
              Programming. (see http://c2.com/ppr/episodes.html) It doesn't mention User
              Stories by name but refer to "Implied Requirement" and "Work Split" for the
              seeds of the user story concept.

              Best wishes,

              Gerard

              On 3/26/2013 8:09 PM, spbroi@... wrote:
              > Just a bit more. In 1989 Ward Cunningham and Kent Beck (then at Apple) gave a
              > paper at OOPSLA89which included the concept of the CRC card. I suspect that the
              > CRC card evolved into the user story at CCC as a way to make it more
              > 'user-friendly'. The concepts are similar.
              > =steve

              Gerard Meszaros
              Lean/Agile Coach/Mentor/Trainer
              http://www.gerardmeszaros.com
              1-403-827-2967

              Author of the Jolt Productivity Award winning book "xUnit Test Patterns -
              Refactoring Test Code" and winner of the "Programming with the Stars"
              competition at Agile 2009. Learn more at http://xunitpatterns.com/index.html
            • Adam Sroka
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
                I can't remember who said it or the exact context, but I remember hearing that Ward and Kent really liked using cards for a variety of different things and that when stories came along it was just a natural fit.

                The CRC paper is no smoking gun, but it is evidence that using cards to think about the software they were creating was something they were already doing at least that early.

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013

                  Many thanks to Steve, Gerard and Adam for their helpful additions.

                  As an OO developer in the 1990’s I have heard of CRC cards, but it seems something of a jump (conceptually) to user stories. However, I have come across a 1994 paper at Interact that uses the term ‘user stories’ in the correct sense. The authors of that paper have adapted the term ‘war stories’ used in a 1986 paper from Xerox Parc called ‘Narratives at Work’ (does *everything* we do today come from Xerox Parc<g>?)

                  I’d be really interested to see some of the original user stories if possible. From a UCD perspective the shift to roles is not really a benefit to users so it would be good to plot that development. Email me at whudson@... (if you’d prefer not to post them to the list).

                  Regards,

                  William

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                    Hey William,

                    On 27 March 2013 11:34, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote:
                    > I’d be really interested to see some of the original user stories if
                    > possible. From a UCD perspective the shift to roles is not really a benefit
                    > to users so it would be good to plot that development.

                    That's an interesting statement to me. Could you expand upon it?

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                      A role is a systemizing concept so really makes no allowance for needs of
                      the individual. Using it to represent users glosses over many of the
                      inter-role issues like role ambiguity, role incompatibility, role conflict
                      and so on. Of course, we have Ivar Jacobson and use cases to thank for
                      roles, and they're not entirely without merit, but someone filling role A in
                      one context of use may have quite different needs to someone filling the
                      same role in a different context.

                      Regards,

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                        I'd question whether the role slot in user stories often gets used in
                        that way. The use-case "role" and the user story "role" tend to be
                        used fairly differently in my experience.

                        We hit the same name - different usage problem again.

                        They're normally much closer to customer archetypes / persona in my
                        experience (indeed most agile ux folk I know who adopt the story
                        format slot persona into the role hole).

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                          Agilists who know little or nothing about usability/UCD do try to take roles
                          literally. I was talking with a client just a couple of weeks ago who
                          pointed this out as a problem with their introduction of UX design.

                          Regards,

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                            On 27 March 2013 12:22, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote:
                            > Agilists who know little or nothing about usability/UCD do try to take roles
                            > literally. I was talking with a client just a couple of weeks ago who
                            > pointed this out as a problem with their introduction of UX design.

                            My experiences differ.

                            It does happen - of course - but my experiences of teams, even those
                            without UX input, is that the roles are more often treated as market
                            segments / archetypes / etc.

                            They're certainly seem to treated much more generally than use-case type roles.

                            Possibly you're seeing teams who are primarily transferring from
                            use-cases to stories? In those situations it's certainly a common
                            problem.

                            t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward pinboard.in/u:adrianh
                          • Larry Constantine
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                              William said:

                              > A role is a systemizing concept so really makes no allowance for needs of
                              the individual. Using it to represent users glosses over many of the
                              inter-role issues like role ambiguity, role incompatibility, role conflict
                              and so on. Of course, we have Ivar Jacobson and use cases to thank for
                              roles, and they're not entirely without merit, but someone filling role A in
                              one context of use may have quite different needs to someone filling the
                              same role in a different context. <

                              The user role concept traces back to contributions from Rebecca Wirfs-Brock
                              and was developed and elaborated in usage-centered design and later
                              model-driven activity-centered design (Constantine and Lockwood). A role is
                              a relationship between users and a system or service and is defined (ala
                              Wirfs-Brock) by a characteristic set of needs, expectations, interests, and
                              responsibilities in relation to the system/service and in the context of the
                              activity in which the user is participating. As such, a user role focuses
                              precisely on those issues most salient to effective interaction design (see
                              my chapter in The Persona Lifecycle for persuasive support). That it blurs
                              or compresses "individual differences" is precisely why it is a more compact
                              and efficient model, particularly for agile design and development.
                              Individual incumbents in a role vary immensely; the role itself is are far
                              less variable. Individuals are extremely complicated; roles are far simpler.
                              A well-formulated role absolutely does make allowance for the needs of the
                              individual, but not as an individual, not as a person, but rather as an
                              individual in a particular activity and in a particular relationship to a
                              designed artifact.

                              The critical issue in modeling for agile IxD/UxD is to model only what is
                              most important to model, compactly and concisely, to focus on what is likely
                              to yield the biggest payoff in guidance toward an effective design in the
                              least amount of time. The templated user role profiles employed in
                              usage-centered design and human activity modeling do just that,
                              concentrating the modeler/designer's attention on those things that are most
                              likely to directly impact and shape the design.

                              The issues you mention-role ambiguity, role incompatibility, role
                              conflict-are interesting from an intellectual standpoint and often play some
                              part in a complete analysis of human activity (we incorporate them in our
                              application of activity-theory to educational research, for instance), but
                              the relationship of the actor in role to the designed artifact is far more
                              relevant to designing that system or service. Inter-role issues that may be
                              important in organizational dynamics or social psychology are typically far
                              less central to getting the design right.

                              In the most recent incarnation of the user role profile that we use in
                              model-driven agile design (not yet written up), we have reduced the template
                              further to include just 3 categories (ORB): Orientation, Responsibilities,
                              and Background. Orientation and attitude of the actor in role to focal
                              activities and to the designed artifact; Responsibilities of the actor in
                              role within focal activities and with the designed artifact; Background
                              characteristics expected in relation to use of the designed artifact within
                              focal activities. This is a vast simplification from the concept of role in
                              activity theory and role theory, but it zeroes in on the stuff that is most
                              likely to make a difference, covering the bases on a single index card.

                              Modeling efficiency and design leverage are behind most of my work and the
                              usage/activity-centered design community. It is why we favor concise role
                              profiles over the decorative embellishments of personas, why essential use
                              cases win out over traditional concrete use cases and scenarios.

                              Psychologists and humanists can plead for attention to the individual, but,
                              as Don Norman and I pointed out some years ago, that is precisely the
                              problem. It is the focus on humans, on individuals, that diverts our
                              attention from the more important focus on what people are doing and trying
                              to do, that is, on activity as mediated by designed artifacts. This badly
                              needed shift in focus was behind my development of human activity modeling
                              (with Don's encouragement and contributions) and then its adaptation to
                              agile design and development. We drive AD&D by activity models not to
                              capture a complete analysis embodied in those models but to move as quickly
                              and efficiently as possible toward good designs. That means concentrating on
                              roles and activities and glossing over stuff that is less critical to speedy
                              solutions.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                                Thanks, Larry. Very interesting. Do you know when Rebecca first started
                                talking about roles? I have a paper here from Jacobson dated 1987 that
                                describes their use in OO development.

                                BTW, I wasn't suggesting that designers of information systems should
                                thoroughly research roles and their interrelationships. My point is more
                                that roles are not a very useful focus of attention in many systems.

                                Regards,

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                                  On 3/26/2013 10:03 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:
                                  > I can't remember who said it or the exact context, but I remember hearing that
                                  > Ward and Kent really liked using cards for a variety of different things and
                                  > that when stories came along it was just a natural fit.

                                  Yes, they used cards for all sorts of purposes including organizing
                                  presentations by putting each thing they wanted to talk about onto a card. Easy
                                  to reorganize the content simply by moving the card. Other agilist/OO people
                                  have adopted this style of presentation "notes" most notably (Uncle) Bob Martin
                                  (who rarely uses visuals in presentation) and Ron Jeffries (another CCC team
                                  member.)

                                  Gerard