RE: [agile-usability] Origins of user stories

  • William Hudson
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013

      Hi, Larry. Nice to hear from you.

      I have since come across a document entitled “User Stories Done Right: Requirements” by Jeff Sutherland. However, it has a copyright footer that reads ‘1993 – 2007’ so I’m trying to get in touch with Jeff to find the real date. Since the term is in the article title I’m supposing that it might be the earlier date.

      Regards,

      William

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013

        I believe Jeff Sutherland presented that particular talk at GBC/ACM in 2007 (April 28 according to GBC/ACm site). The copyright claim spans back to earlier material. I do not believe he coined the card-based modeling term.

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013

          Larry –

          Thanks for the clarification. I was coming to that conclusion myself even though the Google result in question seems to be dated 1993.

          Regards,

          William

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
            I'm moderately the certain that the term "user story" came out of the
            XP crowd (possibly via being called "customer stories" first - my
            memory is poor). The Scrum world talked about Product Backlog Items
            and Sprint Backlog Items.

            The things on the cards may well be similar though. You'd need to ask
            early Scrum team folk to be sure.

            So you may be looking for the same practice with a different name.

            The focus on the card being the token for the conversations that
            define the spec - rather than being the spec artefact in toto was
            something that came from the XP folk more. At least that was the
            impression I had in the late 90's.

            Adrian

            On 26 March 2013 11:48, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote:
            > Hi, Larry. Nice to hear from you.
            >

            > I have since come across a document entitled “User Stories Done Right:
            > Requirements” by Jeff Sutherland. However, it has a copyright footer that
            > reads ‘1993 – 2007’ so I’m trying to get in touch with Jeff to find the real
            > date. Since the term is in the article title I’m supposing that it might be
            > the earlier date.
            >

            > Regards,
            >

            > William

            t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward pinboard.in/u:adrianh
          • spbyh
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
              I may have some of the original WIKI postings and emails from the CCC project back in the 90s where the term was used by Beck, Jeffries, Astels, Cunningham, et al. I do have some original Ron Jeffries user stories on cards and they are not in the Rachel Davis format which apparently started around 2005.  Ron put the estimate on the front of the card and the acceptance test on the back of the card, something that we didn't do.  I don't know who actually came up with the idea of using cards.
              If it can be traced back before CCC, you might have to go to the Smalltalk world, but I have the distinct impression the concept evolved out of the work done on CCC.
              =steve

              I'm moderately the certain that the term "user story" came out of the
              XP crowd (possibly via being called "customer stories" first - my
              memory is poor). The Scrum world talked about Product Backlog Items
              and Sprint Backlog Items.

              The things on the cards may well be similar though. You'd need to ask
              early Scrum team folk to be sure.

              So you may be looking for the same practice with a different name.

              The focus on the card being the token for the conversations that
              define the spec - rather than being the spec artefact in toto was
              something that came from the XP folk more. At least that was the
              impression I had in the late 90's.

              Adrian

              On 26 March 2013 11:48, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote: > Hi, Larry. Nice to hear from you. > > > > I have since come across a document entitled “User Stories Done Right: > Requirements” by Jeff Sutherland. However, it has a copyright footer that > reads ‘1993 – 2007’ so I’m trying to get in touch with Jeff to find the real > date. Since the term is in the article title I’m supposing that it might be > the earlier date. > > > > Regards, > > > > William > > > > From: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com > [mailto:agile-usability@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Larry Constantine > Sent: 26 March 2013 11:15 > To: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com > Subject: RE: [agile-usability] Origins of user stories > > > > > > > AFAIK, Kent Beck first introduced the term with its contemporary usage. Of > course, meanings evolve, and the user stories of the new century, especially > when written by the IxD team, are quite different from those from the early > days, which were far less focused and informed by IxD concerns. > > > > ~~Prof. Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow > > Universidade da Madeira | Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute > > > > [snipped] -- http://quietstars.com adrianh@... twitter.com/adrianh t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward pinboard.in/u:adrianh ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-usability/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-usability/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: agile-usability-digest@yahoogroups.com agile-usability-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: agile-usability-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • spbyh
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
                Just a bit more.  In 1989 Ward Cunningham and Kent Beck (then at Apple) gave a paper at OOPSLA89 which included the concept of the CRC card. I suspect that the CRC card evolved into the user story at CCC as a way to make it more 'user-friendly'. The concepts are similar.
                =steve

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
                  I was a member of the Hillside Group along with Kent Beck and Ward Cunningham in
                  1995/1996 and was present at the first 4 PLOP conferences. The following is my
                  understanding of the origins of XP and User Stories based on my direct contacts
                  with them in that time frame.

                  CRC cards (co-invented by Ward and were used in domain modeling and represent a
                  single domain object class and its responsibilities and collaborators. (See
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-responsibility-collaboration_card) The user
                  story card represents something the Customer wanted the Dev Team to build for
                  them. Other than both being written on cards, there is really no similarity. So
                  the 1989 OOPSLA paper is a red herring.

                  You might take a look at the PLOP 1995 paper called Episodes which is the first
                  writing I'm aware of that describes the process that came to be called eXtreme
                  Programming. (see http://c2.com/ppr/episodes.html) It doesn't mention User
                  Stories by name but refer to "Implied Requirement" and "Work Split" for the
                  seeds of the user story concept.

                  Best wishes,

                  Gerard

                  On 3/26/2013 8:09 PM, spbroi@... wrote:
                  > Just a bit more. In 1989 Ward Cunningham and Kent Beck (then at Apple) gave a
                  > paper at OOPSLA89which included the concept of the CRC card. I suspect that the
                  > CRC card evolved into the user story at CCC as a way to make it more
                  > 'user-friendly'. The concepts are similar.
                  > =steve

                  Gerard Meszaros
                  Lean/Agile Coach/Mentor/Trainer
                  http://www.gerardmeszaros.com
                  1-403-827-2967

                  Author of the Jolt Productivity Award winning book "xUnit Test Patterns -
                  Refactoring Test Code" and winner of the "Programming with the Stars"
                  competition at Agile 2009. Learn more at http://xunitpatterns.com/index.html
                • Adam Sroka
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 26, 2013
                    I can't remember who said it or the exact context, but I remember hearing that Ward and Kent really liked using cards for a variety of different things and that when stories came along it was just a natural fit.

                    The CRC paper is no smoking gun, but it is evidence that using cards to think about the software they were creating was something they were already doing at least that early.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013

                      Many thanks to Steve, Gerard and Adam for their helpful additions.

                      As an OO developer in the 1990’s I have heard of CRC cards, but it seems something of a jump (conceptually) to user stories. However, I have come across a 1994 paper at Interact that uses the term ‘user stories’ in the correct sense. The authors of that paper have adapted the term ‘war stories’ used in a 1986 paper from Xerox Parc called ‘Narratives at Work’ (does *everything* we do today come from Xerox Parc<g>?)

                      I’d be really interested to see some of the original user stories if possible. From a UCD perspective the shift to roles is not really a benefit to users so it would be good to plot that development. Email me at whudson@... (if you’d prefer not to post them to the list).

                      Regards,

                      William

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                        Hey William,

                        On 27 March 2013 11:34, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote:
                        > I’d be really interested to see some of the original user stories if
                        > possible. From a UCD perspective the shift to roles is not really a benefit
                        > to users so it would be good to plot that development.

                        That's an interesting statement to me. Could you expand upon it?

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                          A role is a systemizing concept so really makes no allowance for needs of
                          the individual. Using it to represent users glosses over many of the
                          inter-role issues like role ambiguity, role incompatibility, role conflict
                          and so on. Of course, we have Ivar Jacobson and use cases to thank for
                          roles, and they're not entirely without merit, but someone filling role A in
                          one context of use may have quite different needs to someone filling the
                          same role in a different context.

                          Regards,

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                            I'd question whether the role slot in user stories often gets used in
                            that way. The use-case "role" and the user story "role" tend to be
                            used fairly differently in my experience.

                            We hit the same name - different usage problem again.

                            They're normally much closer to customer archetypes / persona in my
                            experience (indeed most agile ux folk I know who adopt the story
                            format slot persona into the role hole).

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                              Agilists who know little or nothing about usability/UCD do try to take roles
                              literally. I was talking with a client just a couple of weeks ago who
                              pointed this out as a problem with their introduction of UX design.

                              Regards,

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                                On 27 March 2013 12:22, William Hudson <william.hudson@...> wrote:
                                > Agilists who know little or nothing about usability/UCD do try to take roles
                                > literally. I was talking with a client just a couple of weeks ago who
                                > pointed this out as a problem with their introduction of UX design.

                                My experiences differ.

                                It does happen - of course - but my experiences of teams, even those
                                without UX input, is that the roles are more often treated as market
                                segments / archetypes / etc.

                                They're certainly seem to treated much more generally than use-case type roles.

                                Possibly you're seeing teams who are primarily transferring from
                                use-cases to stories? In those situations it's certainly a common
                                problem.

                                t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward pinboard.in/u:adrianh
                              • Larry Constantine
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                                  William said:

                                  > A role is a systemizing concept so really makes no allowance for needs of
                                  the individual. Using it to represent users glosses over many of the
                                  inter-role issues like role ambiguity, role incompatibility, role conflict
                                  and so on. Of course, we have Ivar Jacobson and use cases to thank for
                                  roles, and they're not entirely without merit, but someone filling role A in
                                  one context of use may have quite different needs to someone filling the
                                  same role in a different context. <

                                  The user role concept traces back to contributions from Rebecca Wirfs-Brock
                                  and was developed and elaborated in usage-centered design and later
                                  model-driven activity-centered design (Constantine and Lockwood). A role is
                                  a relationship between users and a system or service and is defined (ala
                                  Wirfs-Brock) by a characteristic set of needs, expectations, interests, and
                                  responsibilities in relation to the system/service and in the context of the
                                  activity in which the user is participating. As such, a user role focuses
                                  precisely on those issues most salient to effective interaction design (see
                                  my chapter in The Persona Lifecycle for persuasive support). That it blurs
                                  or compresses "individual differences" is precisely why it is a more compact
                                  and efficient model, particularly for agile design and development.
                                  Individual incumbents in a role vary immensely; the role itself is are far
                                  less variable. Individuals are extremely complicated; roles are far simpler.
                                  A well-formulated role absolutely does make allowance for the needs of the
                                  individual, but not as an individual, not as a person, but rather as an
                                  individual in a particular activity and in a particular relationship to a
                                  designed artifact.

                                  The critical issue in modeling for agile IxD/UxD is to model only what is
                                  most important to model, compactly and concisely, to focus on what is likely
                                  to yield the biggest payoff in guidance toward an effective design in the
                                  least amount of time. The templated user role profiles employed in
                                  usage-centered design and human activity modeling do just that,
                                  concentrating the modeler/designer's attention on those things that are most
                                  likely to directly impact and shape the design.

                                  The issues you mention-role ambiguity, role incompatibility, role
                                  conflict-are interesting from an intellectual standpoint and often play some
                                  part in a complete analysis of human activity (we incorporate them in our
                                  application of activity-theory to educational research, for instance), but
                                  the relationship of the actor in role to the designed artifact is far more
                                  relevant to designing that system or service. Inter-role issues that may be
                                  important in organizational dynamics or social psychology are typically far
                                  less central to getting the design right.

                                  In the most recent incarnation of the user role profile that we use in
                                  model-driven agile design (not yet written up), we have reduced the template
                                  further to include just 3 categories (ORB): Orientation, Responsibilities,
                                  and Background. Orientation and attitude of the actor in role to focal
                                  activities and to the designed artifact; Responsibilities of the actor in
                                  role within focal activities and with the designed artifact; Background
                                  characteristics expected in relation to use of the designed artifact within
                                  focal activities. This is a vast simplification from the concept of role in
                                  activity theory and role theory, but it zeroes in on the stuff that is most
                                  likely to make a difference, covering the bases on a single index card.

                                  Modeling efficiency and design leverage are behind most of my work and the
                                  usage/activity-centered design community. It is why we favor concise role
                                  profiles over the decorative embellishments of personas, why essential use
                                  cases win out over traditional concrete use cases and scenarios.

                                  Psychologists and humanists can plead for attention to the individual, but,
                                  as Don Norman and I pointed out some years ago, that is precisely the
                                  problem. It is the focus on humans, on individuals, that diverts our
                                  attention from the more important focus on what people are doing and trying
                                  to do, that is, on activity as mediated by designed artifacts. This badly
                                  needed shift in focus was behind my development of human activity modeling
                                  (with Don's encouragement and contributions) and then its adaptation to
                                  agile design and development. We drive AD&D by activity models not to
                                  capture a complete analysis embodied in those models but to move as quickly
                                  and efficiently as possible toward good designs. That means concentrating on
                                  roles and activities and glossing over stuff that is less critical to speedy
                                  solutions.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                                    Thanks, Larry. Very interesting. Do you know when Rebecca first started
                                    talking about roles? I have a paper here from Jacobson dated 1987 that
                                    describes their use in OO development.

                                    BTW, I wasn't suggesting that designers of information systems should
                                    thoroughly research roles and their interrelationships. My point is more
                                    that roles are not a very useful focus of attention in many systems.

                                    Regards,

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 27, 2013
                                      On 3/26/2013 10:03 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:
                                      > I can't remember who said it or the exact context, but I remember hearing that
                                      > Ward and Kent really liked using cards for a variety of different things and
                                      > that when stories came along it was just a natural fit.

                                      Yes, they used cards for all sorts of purposes including organizing
                                      presentations by putting each thing they wanted to talk about onto a card. Easy
                                      to reorganize the content simply by moving the card. Other agilist/OO people
                                      have adopted this style of presentation "notes" most notably (Uncle) Bob Martin
                                      (who rarely uses visuals in presentation) and Ron Jeffries (another CCC team
                                      member.)

                                      Gerard