Re: [agile-usability] Re: [meta] Posting of surveys & announcements

  • mark schraad
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013
      That's an awesome survey.

      On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Ted M. Young [@jitterted] <tedyoung@...> wrote:

      I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students' supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or serve as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly) ask them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM

      ;ted

      On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Larry Constantine <lconstantine@...> wrote:

      As an academic and agile IxD/UX practitioner, I would like to add one more point of view. In our work, inside and outside of Academe, we strive for relevance AND quality. I confess that I have found the shoddy work in some of the student online surveys utterly deplorable, with inadequate experimental design, poorly worded questions, and barely literate language. I teach in Portugal, so I am keenly aware of the issues of English as a second language, but anyone who is attempting to survey the English-speaking international community has an obligation to get their instruments properly edited and refined, an obligation shared by their academic advisors.

      Ideally, requests to survey our list subscribers should be accepted on condition of both relevance and quality. Of course, we don’t want to set up the bureaucracy of a refereeing structure, but I would say that a couple of negative reports from respondents should be enough of a negative review.

      ~~Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow | Lior Samson, novelist

          Professor, University of Madeira | Funchal, Portugal

          Active (Professional) Member, SFWA

          Simon Rockower Award (2010), American Jewish Press Association

          Author of The Rosen Singularity (Gesher Press, 2011) and The Homeland Connection novels:

          Bashert, The Dome, Web Games (Gesher Press, 2010) and Chipset (Gesher Press, 2012)

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013
          On 8 February 2013 17:56, Ted M. Young [@jitterted] <tedyoung@...> wrote:
          I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students' supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or serve as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly) ask them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM

          Bravo Sir! Bravo!

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013
            Also - is it going to annoy you if I spread that URL around?

            ;-)

          • Ted M. Young [@jitterted]

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013
                Ted, I love your survey!

                --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Ted M. Young [@...]" wrote:

                > I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students'
                > supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or serve
                > as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or
                > dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly) ask
                > them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM
                >
                > ;ted

              • Silvana Wasitova
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 9, 2013

                  +1 !
                  Awesome!

                  On Feb 9, 2013, at 5:10 AM, "davidkallen" <davidkallen@...> wrote:

                  Ted, I love your survey!

                  --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Ted M. Young [@...]" wrote:

                  > I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students'
                  > supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or serve
                  > as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or
                  > dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly) ask
                  > them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM
                  >
                  > ;ted

                • Chris.Chandler
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                    +1

                    Please keep this up forever.

                    -cc

                    Sent from a mobile device.

                    On Feb 9, 2013, at 3:43 AM, Silvana Wasitova <wasitova@...> wrote:

                    +1 !
                    Awesome!

                    On Feb 9, 2013, at 5:10 AM, "davidkallen" <davidkallen@...> wrote:

                    Ted, I love your survey!

                    --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Ted M. Young [@...]" wrote:

                    > I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students'
                    > supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or serve
                    > as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or
                    > dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly) ask
                    > them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM
                    >
                    > ;ted

                  • dina salah
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013

                      Hi,

                      Kindly find below the programme for the Agile and User Centered Design Integration Workshop (AUCDI 2013) that will be held on the 15th February 2013 at the University of York, UK in the Computer Science Department on the new Heslington East campus, Room Number CSE/101 and CSE/102.  For directions to venue please visit Information page. Please register here if you would like to attend. Registration is Free.
                      08:30-9:00Registration Opens
                      09:00-09:15
                      Opening
                      09:15-10:15
                      10:15 -10:45
                      Strategy for Teaching Integrated Agile and User Centred
                      Design Practices. Preliminary Experience at Software Engineering
                      Graduate Level
                      10:45 -11:15
                      Coffee Break
                      11:15-11:45
                      A Maturity Model for Integrating Agile and User Centered
                      Design
                      11:45 -12:15
                      Promoting Usability in Brazilian Small and Medium Enterprises
                      12:15 -12:45
                      Agile User Experience Design at IBM
                      12:45 -14:15
                      Lunch
                      14:15 -14:45
                      Role for Unmoderated Remote Usability Testing in Agile User
                      Centered Design
                      14:45 -15:15
                      Agile Development and User Experience Design Integration as
                      an Ongoing Achievement in Practice
                      15:15 -15:45
                      Coffee Break
                      15:45 -16:45
                      Moderated Open Discussion on “Agile and User Centered
                      Design – What lies Ahead?”
                      16:45-17:00
                      Closing

                      All the best,