Re: [agile-usability] Re: [meta] Posting of surveys & announcements

  • dina salah
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013
      Hi,
      Being a grad student who DID NOT :) send any survey I would have a different opinion though, I remember that two years ago or more Zahid hussain did conduct a very good survey that went into a number of papers and that was useful to me and other people in the community so I would go with what Adrian mentioned that surverys should stick to work that is focused on agile and UX rather than agile and any post graduate student should make more effort to revise whatever they are sending.
      Cheers,
      Dina

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013

        As an academic and agile IxD/UX practitioner, I would like to add one more point of view. In our work, inside and outside of Academe, we strive for relevance AND quality. I confess that I have found the shoddy work in some of the student online surveys utterly deplorable, with inadequate experimental design, poorly worded questions, and barely literate language. I teach in Portugal, so I am keenly aware of the issues of English as a second language, but anyone who is attempting to survey the English-speaking international community has an obligation to get their instruments properly edited and refined, an obligation shared by their academic advisors.

        Ideally, requests to survey our list subscribers should be accepted on condition of both relevance and quality. Of course, we don’t want to set up the bureaucracy of a refereeing structure, but I would say that a couple of negative reports from respondents should be enough of a negative review.

        ~~Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow | Lior Samson, novelist

            Professor, University of Madeira | Funchal, Portugal

            Active (Professional) Member, SFWA

            Simon Rockower Award (2010), American Jewish Press Association

            Author of The Rosen Singularity (Gesher Press, 2011) and The Homeland Connection novels:

            Bashert, The Dome, Web Games (Gesher Press, 2010) and Chipset (Gesher Press, 2012)

      • Ted M. Young [@jitterted]

          Being a grad student who DID NOT :) send any survey I would have a different opinion though, I remember that two years ago or more Zahid hussain did conduct a very good survey that went into a number of papers and that was useful to me and other people in the community so I would go with what Adrian mentioned that surverys should stick to work that is focused on agile and UX rather than agile and any post graduate student should make more effort to revise whatever they are sending.
          Cheers,
          Dina

          I would ban them all. They are usually developed by ill-prepared grad students who produce poor quality surveys whose value to the community is questionable. There are good surveys like those Scott Ambler conducts. But these are not that. Barring that, I would vote for your plan.
          David

          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard wrote:

          > Hey folks,
          >
          > We get a moderate amount of surveys and announcements on this list.
          > They're often only related to one half of the list topic (indeed -
          > they're mostly just about the "agile" half). They're also often
          > cross-posted to several lists - so people who subscribe to multiple
          > mailing lists see multiple copies.
          >
          > Suggestion (wearing moderator hat). Still allow survey and
          > announcement posts - but only if the touch upon agile *and* ux.
          >
          > Thoughts?
          >
          > Adrian
          > --
          > http://quietstars.com adrianh@... twitter.com/adrianh
          > t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward pinboard.in/u:adrianh

        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013
            I like it! I would propose that surveyors must fill out that survey
            before theirs is allowed on the list.

            It seems especially ironic that surveys on useability are generally so
            unusable that I cannot finish filling them out. I've quit even looking
            at them.

            - George

            On 2/8/13 12:56 PM, Ted M. Young [@jitterted] wrote:

            > I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students'
            > supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or
            > serve as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or
            > dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly)
            > ask them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM
            >
            > ;ted
            >

            > On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Larry Constantine
            > <lconstantine@... <mailto:lconstantine@...>> wrote:
            >

            > As an academic and agile IxD/UX practitioner, I would like to add
            > one more point of view. In our work, inside and outside of Academe,
            > we strive for relevance AND quality. I confess that I have found the
            > shoddy work in some of the student online surveys utterly
            > deplorable, with inadequate experimental design, poorly worded
            > questions, and barely literate language. I teach in Portugal, so I
            > am keenly aware of the issues of English as a second language, but
            > anyone who is attempting to survey the English-speaking
            > international community has an obligation to get their instruments
            > properly edited and refined, an obligation shared by their academic
            > advisors.____
            >
            > __ __
            >
            > Ideally, requests to survey our list subscribers should be accepted
            > on condition of both relevance and quality. Of course, we don’t want
            > to set up the bureaucracy of a refereeing structure, but I would say
            > that a couple of negative reports from respondents should be enough
            > of a negative review.____
            >
            > __ __
            >
            > ~~Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow | Lior Samson, novelist
            > <http://www.amazon.com/Lior-Samson/e/B004KDPO9A/>____
            >
            > Professor, University of Madeira | Funchal, Portugal____
            >
            > Active (Professional) Member, SFWA____
            >
            > Simon Rockower Award (2010), American Jewish Press Association____
            >
            > Author of /The Rosen Singularity/
            > <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984377247/> (Gesher Press, 2011) and The
            > Homeland Connection novels:____
            >
            > /Bashert/ <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984377204/>, /The Dome/
            > <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984377212/>, /Web Games/
            > <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984377220/> (Gesher Press, 2010) and
            > /Chipset/ <http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AP6UPKO> (Gesher Press, 2012)____
            >
            > __ __
            >
            > __ __
            >
            > __ __
            >
            > *From:*agile-usability@yahoogroups.com

          • Michael James
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013
              Here's the bright side: those people could be creating bad software instead of bad surveys!

              --mj
              (Michael)

              On Feb 8, 2013, at 10:03 AM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

              > I like it! I would propose that surveyors must fill out that survey
              > before theirs is allowed on the list.
              >
              > It seems especially ironic that surveys on useability are generally so
              > unusable that I cannot finish filling them out. I've quit even looking
              > at them.
              >
              > - George
              >
              > On 2/8/13 12:56 PM, Ted M. Young [@jitterted] wrote:
              >>

              >> I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students'
              >> supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or
              >> serve as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or
              >> dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly)
              >> ask them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM
              >>
              >> ;ted
              >>

              >> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Larry Constantine
              >> <lconstantine@... <mailto:lconstantine@...>> wrote:
              >>

              >> As an academic and agile IxD/UX practitioner, I would like to add
              >> one more point of view. In our work, inside and outside of Academe,
              >> we strive for relevance AND quality. I confess that I have found the
              >> shoddy work in some of the student online surveys utterly
              >> deplorable, with inadequate experimental design, poorly worded
              >> questions, and barely literate language. I teach in Portugal, so I
              >> am keenly aware of the issues of English as a second language, but
              >> anyone who is attempting to survey the English-speaking
              >> international community has an obligation to get their instruments
              >> properly edited and refined, an obligation shared by their academic
              >> advisors.____
              >>
              >> __ __
              >>
              >> Ideally, requests to survey our list subscribers should be accepted
              >> on condition of both relevance and quality. Of course, we don’t want
              >> to set up the bureaucracy of a refereeing structure, but I would say
              >> that a couple of negative reports from respondents should be enough
              >> of a negative review.____
              >>
              >> __ __
              >>
              >> ~~Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow | Lior Samson, novelist
              >> <http://www.amazon.com/Lior-Samson/e/B004KDPO9A/>____
              >>
              >> Professor, University of Madeira | Funchal, Portugal____
              >>
              >> Active (Professional) Member, SFWA____
              >>
              >> Simon Rockower Award (2010), American Jewish Press Association____
              >>
              >> Author of /The Rosen Singularity/
              >> <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984377247/> (Gesher Press, 2011) and The
              >> Homeland Connection novels:____
              >>
              >> /Bashert/ <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984377204/>, /The Dome/
              >> <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984377212/>, /Web Games/
              >> <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984377220/> (Gesher Press, 2010) and
              >> /Chipset/ <http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AP6UPKO> (Gesher Press, 2012)____
              >>
              >> __ __
              >>
              >> __ __
              >>
              >> __ __
              >>
              >> *From:*agile-usability@yahoogroups.com

            • mark schraad

                Being a grad student who DID NOT :) send any survey I would have a different opinion though, I remember that two years ago or more Zahid hussain did conduct a very good survey that went into a number of papers and that was useful to me and other people in the community so I would go with what Adrian mentioned that surverys should stick to work that is focused on agile and UX rather than agile and any post graduate student should make more effort to revise whatever they are sending.
                Cheers,
                Dina

                I would ban them all. They are usually developed by ill-prepared grad students who produce poor quality surveys whose value to the community is questionable. There are good surveys like those Scott Ambler conducts. But these are not that. Barring that, I would vote for your plan.
                David

                --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard wrote:

                > Hey folks,
                >
                > We get a moderate amount of surveys and announcements on this list.
                > They're often only related to one half of the list topic (indeed -
                > they're mostly just about the "agile" half). They're also often
                > cross-posted to several lists - so people who subscribe to multiple
                > mailing lists see multiple copies.
                >
                > Suggestion (wearing moderator hat). Still allow survey and
                > announcement posts - but only if the touch upon agile *and* ux.
                >
                > Thoughts?
                >
                > Adrian
                > --
                > http://quietstars.com adrianh@... twitter.com/adrianh
                > t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward pinboard.in/u:adrianh

              • Dave Rooney

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013
                    On 8 February 2013 17:56, Ted M. Young [@jitterted] <tedyoung@...> wrote:
                    I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students' supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or serve as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly) ask them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM

                    Bravo Sir! Bravo!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 8, 2013
                          Ted, I love your survey!

                          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Ted M. Young [@...]" wrote:

                          > I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students'
                          > supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or serve
                          > as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or
                          > dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly) ask
                          > them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM
                          >
                          > ;ted

                        • Silvana Wasitova
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 9, 2013

                            +1 !
                            Awesome!

                            On Feb 9, 2013, at 5:10 AM, "davidkallen" <davidkallen@...> wrote:

                            Ted, I love your survey!

                            --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Ted M. Young [@...]" wrote:

                            > I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students'
                            > supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or serve
                            > as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or
                            > dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly) ask
                            > them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM
                            >
                            > ;ted

                          • Chris.Chandler
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                              +1

                              Please keep this up forever.

                              -cc

                              Sent from a mobile device.

                              On Feb 9, 2013, at 3:43 AM, Silvana Wasitova <wasitova@...> wrote:

                              +1 !
                              Awesome!

                              On Feb 9, 2013, at 5:10 AM, "davidkallen" <davidkallen@...> wrote:

                              Ted, I love your survey!

                              --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Ted M. Young [@...]" wrote:

                              > I agree with Larry; I'm also dismayed that the students'
                              > supervisors/advisors allow such surveys to go out into the world (or serve
                              > as the basis of any conclusion in a research report, article, or
                              > dissertation). Before I fill out such a survey I (only half-jokingly) ask
                              > them to fill out my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PYKR8JM
                              >
                              > ;ted

                            • dina salah
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013

                                Hi,

                                Kindly find below the programme for the Agile and User Centered Design Integration Workshop (AUCDI 2013) that will be held on the 15th February 2013 at the University of York, UK in the Computer Science Department on the new Heslington East campus, Room Number CSE/101 and CSE/102.  For directions to venue please visit Information page. Please register here if you would like to attend. Registration is Free.
                                08:30-9:00Registration Opens
                                09:00-09:15
                                Opening
                                09:15-10:15
                                10:15 -10:45
                                Strategy for Teaching Integrated Agile and User Centred
                                Design Practices. Preliminary Experience at Software Engineering
                                Graduate Level
                                10:45 -11:15
                                Coffee Break
                                11:15-11:45
                                A Maturity Model for Integrating Agile and User Centered
                                Design
                                11:45 -12:15
                                Promoting Usability in Brazilian Small and Medium Enterprises
                                12:15 -12:45
                                Agile User Experience Design at IBM
                                12:45 -14:15
                                Lunch
                                14:15 -14:45
                                Role for Unmoderated Remote Usability Testing in Agile User
                                Centered Design
                                14:45 -15:15
                                Agile Development and User Experience Design Integration as
                                an Ongoing Achievement in Practice
                                15:15 -15:45
                                Coffee Break
                                15:45 -16:45
                                Moderated Open Discussion on “Agile and User Centered
                                Design – What lies Ahead?”
                                16:45-17:00
                                Closing

                                All the best,