Re: [agile-usability] Ego and competition problems

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2012
      Struggling - you've already received some great advice (it is funny to see Adam on yet another list). In addition to the great advice so far you have fun reading David Rock's book: "Your Brain at Work". In addition look into "System's Thinking" (i.e. Peter Senge - The Fifth Discipline) as a tool. Your goal is to understand what pressures are acting on this person and how they affect their behaviour. I would provide links but am at 30,000 ft.

      Cheers
      Mark Levison
      Agile Pain Relief Consulting

      17 October, 2012 4:54 PM

      So here I go with the other big problem as my second post...

      The designer on the team has always given me the feeling that we are in competition with each other. He has loads of experience with the team and with the product, and lots more skill in visual design and tools such as Illustrator. I just have rough sketches, years of UCD, and occasional user feedback.

      I have tried to be deferential. But after almost a year, it is getting very, very old. There is little "we" when it comes to any talk of credit and contributions to the UX effort.

      I've decided to tone down my design input considerably, and base most of what I have to say only on direct feedback from usability tests.

      This is not very "agile" at all. But I've run across this feeling another time or two with teams, like you've just landed on a pirate ship. For example, years ago I had a run with an advertising company. The creative folks ruled the roost there, and it was tough to offer any effective design input.

      -- SD