[ANN] 2 free webinars next week from Net Objectives & more

  • Alan Shalloway
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2012

      Hi all:

      We have 2 free webinars of interest next week:

      ·         Demystifying Kanban: Understanding Its Many Faces. Oct 24 at 4:30pm PDT.

      ·         The Net Objectives Enterprise Agility Roadmap: Patterns of Successful Lean-Agile Adoption. Oct 25 at 9am PDT.

      The first is as a result of a special request by the DFW Agile Community of Practice.   This is a new thing for us – doing a webinar for a user group watching together at their meeting.  To maximize results we opened it up to others in the community.  I’ll be allowing for time for people at DFW to ask questions via phone.  Others can ask throughout the webinar via text.

      The second is an overview of an approach we’ve been developing for several years to overcome the challenges of scaling Agile.  It is not actually a method of scaling (which implies a bottom up approach).  Rather, it is an holistic approach combining the best of Lean, Kanban, Scrum and systems thinking.

      Go to http://www.netobjectives.com/events/free-low-cost for more information and/or to register.

      Details for the talks are:

      De-Mystifying Kanban: Understanding Its Many Faces.

      There is a lot of confusion about what Kanban is. Some of this is due to the fact that many people who have never used Kanban have been deriding it – saying it is a mechanistic team management method that doesn’t respect people. The fact that Kanban is quickly growing and gaining a reputation for success where other Agile methods have had challenges belies that categorization.

      But what is Kanban? Even when listening to Kanban thought leaders one will hear different answers.

      1. it’s a power agile management system based on lean-flow.
      2. it’s a transition management method to assist teams to achieve continuous learning.
      3. It’s a way to create visibility for executives to improve their product portfolio management.

      I can almost here Gilda Radner and Dan Aykroyd on Saturday Night Live describing New Shimmer!

      This talk discusses how Kanban actually is a multi-faceted method that assists process, transition and collaboration. Kanban is not a mere tool, or even a set of practices. It’s a mindset that attends to people, their culture, and the systems they find themselves working in. The talk presents a few of the basics of Lean-Flow and theory of constraints that it is based on as well as some of the psychological aspects of people adopting new methods.

      While this talk is intended for those considering adopting Kanban, those currently using Scrum will find it helpful as many of the principles and practices of Kanban fit well into the Scrum framework.

      Learning Objectives

      • Kanban as a transition method
      • Kanban as a team practice
      • Kanban as a collaborative tool between executives, management and teams
      • Why does Kanban work
      • How one can improve Scrum with the Kanban mindset
      • The principles of Kanban
      • Why Kanban works
      • Why Scrum Works

      The Net Objectives Enterprise Agility Roadmap: Patterns of Successful Lean-Agile Adoption

      Net Objectives has been helping companies achieve enterprise Agility for over 7 years.  During this time we’ve observed these patterns of challenge.  But we’ve also observed patterns of success as well.  These patterns of success occur when certain principles are followed and certain practices manifested.  We describe these in what we call the Net Objectives Enterprise Agility Roadmap: Patterns of Successful Lean-Agile Adoption.  Our Lean-Agile at Scale and the Team: The Value Stream Series discusses our approach by going through different phases of the value stream.

      We have come across so many people considering Agile with the above concerns that we’ve decided to add this special session that focuses on both the reasons the classic Agile bottom-up approach won’t work along with a short overview of the Lean-Agile Roadmap.   This session covers:

      • Focus on realizing business value incrementally
      • Focus on sustainability of realizing business value
      • How the Scrum model is just a small piece of the enterprise puzzle
      • Why you must continually prioritize across the product backlog
      • How to manage dependencies across projects
      • Why and how to pull work into teams from shared backlog
      • Why the product owner role is insufficient at the enterprise, and what new role is required

      There is some overlap with this talk and other talks in this series.  The intent of this webinar is to provide an overview of what it takes to manifest successful Enterprise Agility in one session.

      One other offer.  We are looking to provide our one-day Kanban simulation (http://www.netobjectives.com/training/kanban-one-day-simulation ) to user groups in a manner that will both lower cost to their members and possibly provide revenue for the group. If you are interested in this, please contact me.

      Alan Shalloway, CEO, Sr. Consultant, Net Objectives
      Co-author of Lean-Agile Software Development, Design Patterns Explained, Lean-Agile Pocket Guide for Scrum Teams, Essential Skills for the Agile Developer
      425-269-8991 @alshalloway (twitter)