Reminder: UX Brighton 2012 – November 2, Brighton UK

  • Danny Hope
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2012
      (cross posted)

      UX Brighton 2012 is only 2 weeks away now.

      We just wanted to let you know that, since we announced the event,
      we’ve posted descriptions for all talks, these are really worth
      checking out. With topics like haptics, ergonomics, smart objects,
      natural user interfaces, brain-computer interaction and the history of
      hypertext, we think you’ll agree – it’s shaping-up to be a pretty
      exciting day.

      Details (including talk descriptions): http://2012.uxbrighton.org.uk
      Tickets: http://uxbrighton2012.eventbrite.co.uk/
      Show your interest on Lanyrd: http://lanyrd.com/2012/ux-brighton/

      Talks (from the website)

      Alex Wright – The Web That Wasn’t: Forgotten Forebears of the Internet

      It’s hard to imagine a world without Web browsers, URLs and HTTP. But
      in the years leading up to the web, visionary information scientists
      were exploring systems that bore little resemblance to the Web as we
      know it. We think of the Web as a recent phenomenon, but hypertext
      actually stretches much further back to the late nineteenth century.
      Examining earlier technologies, we find provocative concepts that have
      yet to be fully realised. These ideas have life in them yet,
      especially as web apps start to evolve beyond the browser. Today,
      designers and developers are exploring all kinds of new interaction
      models beyond the traditional Web page metaphor: browser-less apps,
      gestural interfaces, and even mind-reading computers. As we enter this
      new era, what lessons might we learn from these alternative
      technological visions?
      The presentation will focus on the pioneering work of early
      information scientists like Paul Otlet, Vannevar Bush, and Doug
      Engelbart, as well as hypertext pioneers of the 60s, 70s and 80s.
      In this presentation, Alex Wright will explore the heritage of these
      almost-forgotten systems, in search of promising ideas left by the
      historical wayside.

      Jim Kalbach – Human Factors in Innovation: Designing for Adoption

      The ultimate goal of innovation is user adoption: we want people to
      actually use the things we create in a way that impacts their lives.
      But building the better mouse trap guarantees nothing. In fact,
      history shows it's not the whiz-bang of technology but rather human
      factors that matter in the end.
      This is where UX designers come in. Through empathy and understanding
      of people's needs and perceptions, we can increase the rate of
      adoption. In this talk, Jim will look at some specific design-related
      considerations in successful innovation.

      Mike Kuniavsky – How designers will reinvent manufacturing

      Picture a world where Amazon.com is a factory. Products are made as
      needed, based on direct input from users to designers and developers.
      Consumption directly drives production, and data informs design. If we
      weren't talking about physical products, this would sound a lot like
      Web/app interaction design, but the worlds of making atoms and bits
      are quickly colliding, and the implications are profound. By mapping
      what we have learned creating analytics-driven digital design to the
      physical world, we can change how everything is made, for the better.

      Karl Fast – Deep Interaction

      What is the relationship between interaction and thought? Consider how
      you would bake a cake. You’re in the kitchen and have the recipe on
      your iPad. You can read it without scrolling or even squinting. So why
      do you point at the screen? Why do you mutter that you need three cups
      of flour? Why do you arrange the ingredients on the table in a certain
      way? All the information you need is visible. All the ingredients are
      ready to hand. So why all these superfluous interactions? More
      importantly, why do we see these things in everything from baking a
      cake to playing Tetris to analysing data on sticky notes?
      Deep interaction is the idea that how we interact with the world is
      tightly coupled to how we think. We interact to make meaning, develop
      understanding, and create insight. This does not happen just in our
      heads. We do not simply look at the world and think. Karl call’s this
      deep interaction because it involves a complex connection between
      mind, body, and world. Interaction is more than clicking pixels.
      Karl will explore the contours of deep interaction and examine its
      implications as we move from a world of keyboards and mice to a world
      of touch, gesture, and beyond.

      Mark Backler, Designing for Natural User Interfaces

      Mark will examine what designers should consider when designing for
      natural user interfaces (NUI’s), which are interfaces that are
      designed to be as intuitive as possible through their use of natural
      inputs such as touch, gestures or speech.
      Microsoft’s Kinect camera is one example of NUI technology, which
      utilises speech and gesture controls in order to broaden the appeal of
      console gaming to a wider audience. Mark will draw on his experiences
      from working with Kinect on Fable: The Journey and will also be
      looking at some ground-breaking uses of NUI’s, comparing some common
      control schemes and looking at a few ways that people can ensure a
      better user experience when developing software for this innovative

      Guy Smith-Ferrier – Mind Control Your Computer

      Neuroscience has changed over the last 5 years. Neuroheadsets
      (headsets that read brainwaves) became affordable and accessible. No
      longer confined the realm of professors with huge research budgets,
      neuroscience is accessible to everyone. In this session Guy will live
      demo a neuroheadset that reads brain waves and uses an API to allow
      recognition of facial expressions, emotions and cognitive thought –
      that is, the headset can read basic, deliberate conscious thought.
      Although the device is aimed at the gaming market, the potential for
      the physically impaired is considerable. Come and see the potential of
      today’s Brain Computer Interfaces.

      Ben Bashford – All is Full of Love

      It’s clear that an amazing new category of product is emerging.
      Connected devices are already changing our lives but are they ready to
      be domesticated? Ben’s talk will explore a near future where our homes
      are shared with objects and devices that communicate and collaborate
      to enhance and enrich our lives and asks the question ‘Is Design

      Sriram Subramanian – Beyond Multitouch: Ultrahaptics & Multi-view Displays

      Multi-touch devices have become common in the consumer world, but
      users have sacrificed the tactile feedback afforded by physical
      buttons. The Bristol Interaction and Graphics group has been exploring
      technical solutions to create the next generation of touch interfaces
      that support multi-point haptic feedback as well as dynamic allocation
      of views to different users. For example they recently presented a
      tabletop system where users can come together and view shared content
      or by leaning forward can get personalised views that are only visible
      from that particular view-point. This talk will present their recent
      research endeavours in this direction and present some design

      Details: http://2012.uxbrighton.org.uk
      Tickets: http://uxbrighton2012.eventbrite.co.uk/
      Show your interest on Lanyrd: http://lanyrd.com/2012/ux-brighton/

      Danny Hope