Re: [agile-usability] Ego and competition problems

  • mark schraad
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2012
      I'm think that after a years it's either the way he is or the way the culture is meant to be. Taking him out for beers is a good idea. If that doesn't work... move up the food chain. If you have a common boss, that's great. Don't make it an attack, but express some frustration and ask for guidance in how you can contribute better.  Like Adam said... it may be a terminal situation.

      Mark

      On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      Take the guy out for beers. Tell him that you respect his visual design skills and Illustrator chops. Ask him if there is any way you could contribute to the team better.

      It may be that this is all in your head. You need to build enough trust between yourself and this individual to get him to tell you what he really thinks. It may also be that he thinks you are an idiot, but you need to understand that reflects more on his people skills than on you. Either way, you probably want to find out before you get any further bent out of shape.

      The other option is to just find another job...

      On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM, strugglingdesmond <joegrant413@...> wrote:

      So here I go with the other big problem as my second post...

      The designer on the team has always given me the feeling that we are in competition with each other. He has loads of experience with the team and with the product, and lots more skill in visual design and tools such as Illustrator. I just have rough sketches, years of UCD, and occasional user feedback.

      I have tried to be deferential. But after almost a year, it is getting very, very old. There is little "we" when it comes to any talk of credit and contributions to the UX effort.

      I've decided to tone down my design input considerably, and base most of what I have to say only on direct feedback from usability tests.

      This is not very "agile" at all. But I've run across this feeling another time or two with teams, like you've just landed on a pirate ship. For example, years ago I had a run with an advertising company. The creative folks ruled the roost there, and it was tough to offer any effective design input.

      -- SD