Re: [agile-usability] Re: Looking for excel work flow

  • Stacy Anderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2012
      Jon's article on Boxes and Arrows has a wealth of information. Highly recommend!

      On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM, jinnes <jinnes@...> wrote:

      I do a lot of work in Excel because I work with clients that have all sorts of tools and often don't have access to them or time to learn them on a short project. While I'm also a fan or physical cards, let's face it you often have to create digital copies of these things. I've also run into a lot of problems with many of the agile tools that weren't designed with UX deliverables or processes in mind.

      Keep in mind the key is to link the tasks and associated artifacts to the stories. Seems like the source data, business logic and other artifacts you mention would be best captured in other tools. That's how I handle things like UI mockups, user research reports, etc.

      I'd recommend creating a column in Excel next to each story for each artifact and then put a hyperlink in the corresponding cell that points to the artifact on a wiki or file server. You can then count the number of cells in that column that are complete (have text like "Done"). I typically do this to create project dashboards in a separate worksheet.

      Think of these columns as like a column in a scrum or kanban board on physical wall, but with the benefit of being able to have Excel count items in each state. If you have several of them like you describe, label all these columns with a master label ("Tasks" is fine). I also typically put names of owners down in a separate column so you can see who's working on the story or tasks. Another variation is just to use the owner's names in the cells for each deliverable, but that makes it harder to track status.

      One thing I'd pass on from my years of doing this. Test planning should not be done at the end. Waiting till the end to plan tests (of any type) is the waterfall way.

      PS You can see examples of how I've done this in my posts to Boxes and Arrows and Slideshare.

      Good luck,

      Jon