Re: [agile-usability] Agile User Research

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 8, 2012
      Hi Brett,

      I've written on this briefly at http://is.gd/8zsXkR - and I third Dan's recommended reading :)

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 8, 2012
        On 7 Mar 2012, at 03:30, Jon Innes wrote:
        [snip]
        > You are correct to avoid lengthy reports. A much better practice for agile projects is to leverage the defect tracking system, especially if it supports screen shot uploads, which most do now. Even if it doesn't just create a link in the defect to a wiki or file server where you can annotate any screenshots that illustrate issues.
        [snip]

        Or even just go to the story board, pick up a card, and go have a conversation with the PO and devs about what's missing (it's often in the definition of "done" for the story rather than in a description of the feature).

      • Jeremy Kriegel
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8, 2012
          I like Adrian's approach of different color pens. I've tended to setup an excel spreadsheet with each question/task of the test as a column and each user as a row (can be reversed). That way it is easy to type structured notes and compare them across users quickly.

          Try to use a separate note taker. It is hard enough for one person to pay attention to ask sufficiently probing questions based on what they are observing. If you also have to try and capture accurately, you will miss a lot. It is also a great opportunity to involve the PO or a developer or some other non-ux role in the test. Personally, I almost always use the PO as my note taker. They get to experience the session first hand, and changes to the backlog are a conversation between us as we both were there. It also builds support for future testing initiatives.

          good luck,

          -jer

          "Be well, do good work & keep in touch."
               - Garrison Keillor

          On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:

          On 7 Mar 2012, at 03:30, Jon Innes wrote:
          [snip]
          > You are correct to avoid lengthy reports. A much better practice for agile projects is to leverage the defect tracking system, especially if it supports screen shot uploads, which most do now. Even if it doesn't just create a link in the defect to a wiki or file server where you can annotate any screenshots that illustrate issues.
          [snip]

          Or even just go to the story board, pick up a card, and go have a conversation with the PO and devs about what's missing (it's often in the definition of "done" for the story rather than in a description of the feature).

          http://quietstars.com     adrianh@...     twitter.com/adrianh
          t. +44 (0)7752 419080     skype adrianjohnhoward     del.icio.us/adrianh

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)