Re: [agile-usability] Re: Agile User Research

  • Jon Innes
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 6, 2012

      I second Dan's recommendation of that book.

      You are correct to avoid lengthy reports. A much better practice for agile projects is to leverage the defect tracking system, especially if it supports screen shot uploads, which most do now. Even if it doesn't just create a link in the defect to a wiki or file server where you can annotate any screenshots that illustrate issues.

      Some other tips:
      • Make sure the team can participate in studies as observers. This is easy to do with remote usability testing and helps them understand any issues you find.
      • Have any observers take notes and send them to you as an email so they feel involved, but make sure any issues become part of the backlog.
      • Hold a debrief meeting after you have observed enough users to see trends to summarize the findings.
      • If you capture metrics, note them near the team's backlog or scrum board in a summary format. Even if its just # of users tested & # any issue.
      • Even when capturing recommendations on a server or wiki, it's often best to work with the PO or SM to post 1 page paper summaries of these in the team space.
      If you are successful and start facing issues scaling this, I gave some pointers on this in a post:

      Credit to Josh Seiden for term "test driven design" is due. While I've seen it used for QA before, it's a great way to describe best practices for Lean UX.

      Good luck,

      Jon

      On Mar 6, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Dan Fitek wrote:

      There are some good resources on the Measuring the User Experience book website http://measuringux.com/

      Check out Usability Test Data Logger  and Usability Test Observation Coding Form

      -Dan

      On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM, brett.christenson <bchristenson@...> wrote:

      So I am moving forward with User research and with everyone's advice I plan to do interactive test of users. However in an effort to structure this process I was wondering if anyone has a research template they use to preform tests and capture results? This will be very helpful when presenting findings to teams. Having a template for UX team members helps standardize this process and ensure the correct information is gathered and documented.
      I can also see where this would be very beneficial is when testing with same user from one sprint to another as improvements are made to the UI.

      Along the agile principal guidelines I do not want to have a 300 page document created after test just something to assist team. Google search for User Research template has not produced many results that I find very helpful.

      Thanks again to everyone

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 8, 2012
        Hi Brett,

        I've written on this briefly at http://is.gd/8zsXkR - and I third Dan's recommended reading :)

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8, 2012
          On 7 Mar 2012, at 03:30, Jon Innes wrote:
          [snip]
          > You are correct to avoid lengthy reports. A much better practice for agile projects is to leverage the defect tracking system, especially if it supports screen shot uploads, which most do now. Even if it doesn't just create a link in the defect to a wiki or file server where you can annotate any screenshots that illustrate issues.
          [snip]

          Or even just go to the story board, pick up a card, and go have a conversation with the PO and devs about what's missing (it's often in the definition of "done" for the story rather than in a description of the feature).

        • Jeremy Kriegel
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 8, 2012
            I like Adrian's approach of different color pens. I've tended to setup an excel spreadsheet with each question/task of the test as a column and each user as a row (can be reversed). That way it is easy to type structured notes and compare them across users quickly.

            Try to use a separate note taker. It is hard enough for one person to pay attention to ask sufficiently probing questions based on what they are observing. If you also have to try and capture accurately, you will miss a lot. It is also a great opportunity to involve the PO or a developer or some other non-ux role in the test. Personally, I almost always use the PO as my note taker. They get to experience the session first hand, and changes to the backlog are a conversation between us as we both were there. It also builds support for future testing initiatives.

            good luck,

            -jer

            "Be well, do good work & keep in touch."
                 - Garrison Keillor

            On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:

            On 7 Mar 2012, at 03:30, Jon Innes wrote:
            [snip]
            > You are correct to avoid lengthy reports. A much better practice for agile projects is to leverage the defect tracking system, especially if it supports screen shot uploads, which most do now. Even if it doesn't just create a link in the defect to a wiki or file server where you can annotate any screenshots that illustrate issues.
            [snip]

            Or even just go to the story board, pick up a card, and go have a conversation with the PO and devs about what's missing (it's often in the definition of "done" for the story rather than in a description of the feature).

            http://quietstars.com     adrianh@...     twitter.com/adrianh
            t. +44 (0)7752 419080     skype adrianjohnhoward     del.icio.us/adrianh

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)