Looking for vendor for writing project

  • alexgoldfein
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012
      I am with large auto finance institution and am looking for a vendor to support the creation of a style guide for letters sent to customers. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to work with a company that has experience in creating a guide, specifically, on the content of the letter from greeting to salutation in the finance world. This is a process improvement project since the communication exists, but needs to be improved. Thanks.
    • Larry Constantine
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2012

        Alex,

        Unless Honda has cash to throw around, I don’t think you need a vendor for this. Sample business letters, templates, writing advice, and style guides abound on the Web. A little research and persistence is all that is required.

        Do understand that, unless your company is prepared to do most everything with fill-in-the-blank forms and boiler-plate text, even the most elaborate and carefully conceived style guide will not be followed all the time, and, over time, conformance will gradually lessen until the guide is mostly ignored.

        Good luck!

        ~~Larry Constantine | Lior Samson, novelist

            Professor, University of Madeira

            Recipient, Rockower Award, American Jewish Press Association

            SFWA Active (Professional) Member

            Author of contemporary techno-thrillers Bashert, The Dome, Web Games, and The Rosen Singularity

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2012
          Interesting response Larry,

          At first glance I'd agree, but I've worked with clients in the email marketing world and I've seen how complex this can be. I was assuming Alex was thinking about that rather than just general business email correspondence.

          Alex, if you try Larry's advice, there are some guidelines you need to consider to avoid your emails being marked as SPAM out there, but it's non-trivial.

          Also, good email marketing firms such as my former clients conduct multivariate testing to avoid wasting their money on ineffective campaigns. Subtle variations in wording and visual design (known as creatives in the field) make a huge difference.

          All this can be done in a very agile way...if you want any quick tips on email campaign UX stuff, drop me a line at info @ uxinnovation.com

          Jon