RE: [agile-usability] Are design patterns an anti-pattern

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2012
      As I see it, the main advantage of Design Patterns (whether they be a UX or Code pattern) over code or widget libraries, is that they are transferrable across programming languages and dev platforms.

      Also, speaking only in the domaine of S/W Design patterns (as opposed to UX design patterns), many of the most useful patterns are things that simply cannot be wrapped into a standard library. You just have to understand the pattern, and how to implement it in your specific cases.

      For example, I don't see how one could write a standard class for a pattern like factory method:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_method_pattern

      For sure, some patterns could be made into standard classes, but often I find that the "generic" implementation is harder to use and understand than a custom implementation. Often, you don't need all the bells and whistles of a pattern, and you are better off using the "Simplest Implementation That Could Possibly Work" for that pattern, in the context of your application.

      Alain