Re: [agile-usability] Re: Lean Kickoff

  • Tim Wright
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2011

      I once saw a presentation by Tom and/or Mary Poppendieck and someone in the audience made this exact point (they were both in the country and I can't remember who actually gave the presentation). Their rebuttal was that they used Lean at 3M to produce patentable inventions. While I know that there is a difference between "creative" and "patentable", I think that their point is a fair and robust rebuttal - Lean and Creative can go together quite nicely.

      Tim

      On 29 August 2011 03:44, HRB <beyer@...> wrote:

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Morrow" <dmorrow6@...> wrote:

      > I've been thinking for some time about how to leverage lean principles
      > from a UX /product development perspective. I'm finding some facets of
      > UX/Prod Dev work… especially those around early stage
      > discovery/research/analysis… aren't lending themselves to standard
      > agile methods and tools...

      > Discovery stories are more about learning and less about doing. My
      > current project is a website restructuring/redesign. Instead of stories
      > like "As a shopper, I want to add an item to my cart" I have something
      > like "I want to get visibility into what are the biggest problems on the
      > site" or "I want to know what is on the site" or "I want to know who
      > uses the site most" or "I want to understand what users can do on the
      > site." Tasks end up things like "meet with business unit X to understand
      > their goals and what they do" or "review the existing style guide." How
      > do you define done in a learning context?
      >
      > Dean Morrow

      I congratulate you on your creativity, but this has very much the flavor of a square peg being pounded into a round hole. Lean techniques came from lean *manufacturing* -- making a known product faster with less expense. That's pretty much the antithesis of creativity, invention, design, or anything else UX people have to worry about.

      I'd find a process appropriate for learning about your user community and inventing solutions for them. I wouldn't expect that process to have much to do with Lean (or even classic Agile, come to that). If you come to the point of writing stories and you don't at that point already understand your user and the proposed solution, you're in trouble.

      Hugh Beyer
      InContext Design
      beyer@...
      twitter: @hughrbeyer

    • dina salah
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2012
        Hi,
         The International Conference on Advanced Information
         Systems Engineering (CAiSE’12)
        http://www.caise2012.univ.gda.**pl/<http://www.caise2012.univ.gda.pl/>
         includes a workshop on agility of enterprise systems.
         http://www.caise2012.univ.gda.**pl/data/WS/IWAES_CFP.pdf<http://www.caise2012.univ.gda.pl/data/WS/IWAES_CFP.pdf>
         The deadline is 26th of february 2012.
        Anyone who has
        an experience/insight on how to conduct agile and user centred design integration for enterprise systems is welcome to submit. Conveying your experience, touching on problems or lessons learned related to that issue this will be a great contribution to the conference. Cheers,
        Dina Salah