What are your favorite online user testing tools?

  • Mairi Reyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2011

      What are your personal favorite online user testing tools? I’ve used the Optimal Sort tools and am trying out fivesecondtest.com, but I’m interested in what online testing tools other UX folk recommend. I am the sole UX practitioner at my company, and the budget for testing isn’t much. Live user testing is on the radar for the fall, but I’d like to find some online tools (relatively inexpensive ones, if such a thing exists) that I could avail myself of throughout the year when I have to tell a Product Owner “You know, this issue is really something that is a good candidate for user testing!”

      Best,

      Mairi

      Mairi  M. Reyer | Senior User Experience Analyst

      Advanced Solutions International, Inc.

      11044 Research Blvd, Bldg B, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78759

      voice (512) 632-0172 | fax (571) 527-3562

      mreyer@... | Yahoo IM mairi_reyer | Skype Persephy

      www.advsol.com

      cid:image002.jpg@01C792E6.A4B22460

    • Maria Gililova
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2011

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Aug 15, 2011, at 6:06 PM, Mairi Reyer <mreyer@...> wrote:

[...]

        <image001.jpg>

      • Vijay Hanumolu
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2011
          It really depends what you are trying to do, some of the tools we have looked in the past for online testing:

          loop11 and a whole list of online usability tools

          If it is reviewing prototypes or click throughs, it has worked best for me to invite product owners/scrum masters/developers to sit in on remote meeting  (via livemeeting or Goto meeting) with customers when I do remote design reviews. You can create your designs using standard tools of the trade (PDF/Fireworks/PPTs/HTML clickthroughs), and also record the session for future reference. This process not only get feedback from customers, but also gives a chance for the entire team to observe the process.

          You know what they say, having "them" see with their own eyes makes our (UXer's) life easy :)

          good luck,
          Vijay

[...]

        • Carol Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2011
            Un-moderated testing limits your ability to find out why people are doing what they are doing, so I recommend moderating at least some of your tests.

            For moderated testing I use GoToMeeting (any screen sharing meeting tool will work). Skype can do the job, but tends to be less reliable.

            Un-moderated testing tools:
            - Userlytics - www.userlytics.com
            Records facial expressions and user screens during the test. Also can do some pre-editing of video.
            - Loop11www.loop11.com
            No downloads required.
            - UserZoom www.userzoom.com
            Click heatmaps, popular words (word clouds), clickstream charts and efficiency and effectiveness ratios as the product of their studies.
            First click response of the user.

            Carol J. Smith

            Lead Consultant, Midwest Research, LLC

            http://www.mw-research.com