Re: [agile usability] Paper Prototyping

  • desireesy
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
      John Schrag:
      > > We use lots of things for paper prototyping. If the interface is not
      > > too interactive, I'll use balsamiq mockups printed out and cut into
      > > pieces. Sometimes we'll use a whiteboard and post-it notes -- in which
      > > case the interface is all drawn larger-than-life. For more interactive
      > > things, we are lucky enough to have a developer reporting to our UX team
      > > whose entire job is to build prototypes for us. Of course, there are a
      > > lot of us sharing him, so we don't always get access.

      Adrian Howard:
      > I'm going to niggle and say that if you're not using paper then what you're doing is just plain old "prototyping" :-)

      :)  What John's describing is what I call "minimum-fidelity prototyping."  That is, we aim for the lowest possible fidelity of interactive prototype to make the relevant design decision.

      > I'd also recommend Todd's "Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide" (http://t.co/LjQS4Ie) as a good read. It has
      > some good things to say about the different things you get out of prototyping at different levels of fidelity.

      Just to bring this full circle, the webinar version of Todd's book is available from Jared's company:

      http://www.uie.com/events/virtual_seminars/pt_practitioner/

      -Desirée
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011
        Hi Desirée!

        On 15 Aug 2011, at 20:25, desireesy wrote:
        [snip]
        > :) What John's describing is what I call "minimum-fidelity prototyping." That is, we aim for the lowest possible fidelity of interactive prototype to make the relevant design decision.
        [snip]

        Being extra niggly - I'd maybe rephrase the goal of "lowest possible fidelity of" as "fastest feedback from an"?

        That often does mean the lowest possible fidelity - but not always. I've worked for two clients where I had to point out that the "low-fi" prototypes the design team were testing for various UI tweaks were taking longer to build than the final implementation...