RE: [agile usability] Paper Prototyping

  • john@schrag.ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2011
      On 2011-08-12, at 11:47 AM, Gene Arch wrote:

      John,

      I like the idea of the trade-off matrix. I hadn't heard it explained
      that way.

      I don't mean to threadjack, but I'm curious what you use for paper
      prototypes - pencil and paper, or a tool? And how much interactivity do
      you mock up (if you've got a highly interactive UI)?

      I changed the subject line, so this is no longer a thread-jacking :-)

      We use lots of things for paper prototyping. If the interface is not
      too interactive, I'll use balsamiq mockups printed out and cut into
      pieces. Sometimes we'll use a whiteboard and post-it notes -- in which
      case the interface is all drawn larger-than-life. For more interactive
      things, we are lucky enough to have a developer reporting to our UX team
      whose entire job is to build prototypes for us. Of course, there are a
      lot of us sharing him, so we don't always get access.

      I'm happy to also recommend Carolyn Snyder's excellent book, "Paper
      Prototyping" -- you can see the website at
      http://www.paperprototyping.com/

      -john
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
        On 15 Aug 2011, at 04:17, <john@...> <john@...> wrote:
        [snip]
        > I changed the subject line, so this is no longer a thread-jacking :-)
        >
        > We use lots of things for paper prototyping. If the interface is not
        > too interactive, I'll use balsamiq mockups printed out and cut into
        > pieces. Sometimes we'll use a whiteboard and post-it notes -- in which
        > case the interface is all drawn larger-than-life. For more interactive
        > things, we are lucky enough to have a developer reporting to our UX team
        > whose entire job is to build prototypes for us. Of course, there are a
        > lot of us sharing him, so we don't always get access.

        I'm going to niggle and say that if you're not using paper then what you're doing is just plain old "prototyping" :-)

        > I'm happy to also recommend Carolyn Snyder's excellent book, "Paper
        > Prototyping" -- you can see the website at
        > http://www.paperprototyping.com/

        I second that recommendation.

        I'd also recommend Todd's "Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide" (http://t.co/LjQS4Ie) as a good read. It has some good things to say about the different things you get out of prototyping at different levels of fidelity.

      • Gene Arch
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
          Thanks John and Adrian!  I'll check out those books!

          href="http://www.paperprototyping.com/">http://www.paperprototyping.com/

          I second that recommendation.

          I'd also recommend Todd's "Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide" (http://t.co/LjQS4Ie) as a good read. It has some good things to say about the different things you get out of prototyping at different levels of fidelity.

        • desireesy
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
            John Schrag:
            > > We use lots of things for paper prototyping. If the interface is not
            > > too interactive, I'll use balsamiq mockups printed out and cut into
            > > pieces. Sometimes we'll use a whiteboard and post-it notes -- in which
            > > case the interface is all drawn larger-than-life. For more interactive
            > > things, we are lucky enough to have a developer reporting to our UX team
            > > whose entire job is to build prototypes for us. Of course, there are a
            > > lot of us sharing him, so we don't always get access.

            Adrian Howard:
            > I'm going to niggle and say that if you're not using paper then what you're doing is just plain old "prototyping" :-)

            :)  What John's describing is what I call "minimum-fidelity prototyping."  That is, we aim for the lowest possible fidelity of interactive prototype to make the relevant design decision.

            > I'd also recommend Todd's "Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide" (http://t.co/LjQS4Ie) as a good read. It has
            > some good things to say about the different things you get out of prototyping at different levels of fidelity.

            Just to bring this full circle, the webinar version of Todd's book is available from Jared's company:

            http://www.uie.com/events/virtual_seminars/pt_practitioner/

            -Desirée
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011
              Hi Desirée!

              On 15 Aug 2011, at 20:25, desireesy wrote:
              [snip]
              > :) What John's describing is what I call "minimum-fidelity prototyping." That is, we aim for the lowest possible fidelity of interactive prototype to make the relevant design decision.
              [snip]

              Being extra niggly - I'd maybe rephrase the goal of "lowest possible fidelity of" as "fastest feedback from an"?

              That often does mean the lowest possible fidelity - but not always. I've worked for two clients where I had to point out that the "low-fi" prototypes the design team were testing for various UI tweaks were taking longer to build than the final implementation...