Opinions on the Magic Ink essay

  • Craig Davidson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2011
      Hi Folks,

      As you are probably aware, The Magic Ink
      (http://worrydream.com/MagicInk/) essay makes interesting reading with
      lots of food for thought.
      Does anyone have opinions on his ideas.

      Cheers,

      Craig

      Abstract
      ---
      # The ubiquity of frustrating, unhelpful software interfaces has
      motivated decades of research into “Human-Computer Interaction.” In
      this paper, I suggest that the long-standing focus on “interaction”
      may be misguided. For a majority subset of software, called
      “information software,” I argue that interactivity is actually a curse
      for users and a crutch for designers, and users’ goals can be better
      satisfied through other means.

      # Information software design can be seen as the design of
      context-sensitive information graphics. I demonstrate the crucial role
      of information graphic design, and present three approaches to
      context-sensitivity, of which interactivity is the last resort. After
      discussing the cultural changes necessary for these design ideas to
      take root, I address their implementation. I outline a tool which may
      allow designers to create data-dependent graphics with no engineering
      assistance, and also outline a platform which may allow an
      unprecedented level of implicit context-sharing between independent
      programs. I conclude by asserting that the principles of information
      software design will become critical as technology improves.

      # Although this paper presents a number of concrete design and
      engineering ideas, the larger intent is to introduce a “unified
      theory” of information software design, and provide inspiration and
      direction for progressive designers who suspect that the world of
      software isn’t as flat as they’ve been told.
    • Craig Davidson