Re: [agile-usability] Agile Conference

  • Mat Walker
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011
      I've not been before but I've been helping vet some of the submissions for the Ux stage at this years conference and they have been of a very high standard.

       If I could afford it I'd go!

      Mat

      On 3 Mar 2011, at 14:56, "awfelix" <andrea.felix@...> wrote:

      Have any of you attended (or presented at) the "UX and Interaction Design" stage of the annual Agile conference? I'm thinking of attending Agile 2011 for this, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'm interested to hear from those of you who have attended in the past how useful and practical you found it.

      If there are other conferences that you think provide better opportunities to learn about effective integration of UX and agile processes, I'd be interested to hear about that also.

      Regards,

      Andrea

    • Todd Zaki Warfel
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
        I've attended as a presenter for the past three years. I've worked with Jonathan "Yoni" Knoll do build a mobile donation webapp and ship it in 48hrs at the Agile conference two years ago. The entire app was conceived, designed and built at the conference and shipped in 48hrs. It took donations for Mano A Mano and we pulled in 4x what we had expected.

        Generally, the sessions for UX are pretty high quality—higher quality than what you'll see at SxSW. The downside is the conference is huge, there are 8-12 sessions running at any given time and selecting one can be a challenge.

        On Mar 3, 2011, at 9:56 AM, awfelix wrote:

        Have any of you attended (or presented at) the "UX and Interaction Design" stage of the annual Agile conference? I'm thinking of attending Agile 2011 for this, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'm interested to hear from those of you who have attended in the past how useful and practical you found it.

        If there are other conferences that you think provide better opportunities to learn about effective integration of UX and agile processes, I'd be interested to hear about that also.

        Regards,

        Andrea

        Cheers!

        Todd Zaki Warfel
        Principal Designer, messagefirst
        Author of Prototyping: a practitioner's guide http://bit.ly/protobk
        ----------------------------------
        Contact Info
        Voice: (267) 702-6473
        Email: todd@...
        Twitter: @zakiwarfel
        ----------------------------------
        In practice, they are not.

      • Jon Innes
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
          I'm planning on attending as a presenter. I think many UX folks would do well to spend some time at conferences where they are exposed to people outside of their profession.

          After being a presenter and reviewer for UPA And CHI for about 10 years it is my personal opinion that UX folks need to spend more time considering how their work integrates with other fields. I believe this so much I started a company to help others do this.

          Shipping innovative products is a team effort. Lots of skills are needed.

          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • Tom Illmensee
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
            I presented at Agile 2009 in Chicago ("5 Users Every Friday: A Case Study in Applied Research").

            This was my first experience at an Agile conference - and it was outstanding, both as a speaker and attendee. The UX program was very practical and inspiring (Jared Spool's keynote "The Dawning of the Age of Experience" and Jeff Patton's talk on "Pragmatic Personas" were among the many highlights).

            As strong as the UX program was, I have to say the best surprise of the conference was what I learned when I stepped outside of my comfort zone.

            Some of my favorite non-UX sessions included:
            • Coach Aikido: Lessons and Support for Abused Coaches in Hostile Environments
            • Aristotle and the Art of Software Development
            • Blitz Planning
            • Angela Martin's research on Agile culture and process.
            Agile topics at UX-focused conferences like UPA and IxDA's Interaction are often excellent, too. But attending the Agile conference gave me exposure to a wider range of topics and challenged me to think about Agile principles from other perspectives.

            Highly recommended.

            Tom Illmensee
            Senior Interaction Designer, SnagAJob.com