Re: [agile-usability] UX Designer as Product Owner

  • mark schraad
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2011
      I have a slightly different position. In my world, the UX initiative pretty much drives everything. In a consumer world, UX is a prudent business strategy, and where time allows, user POV drives how things should work. My UX folks need to understand the technology, and both the constraints and opportunities from the business perspective, but we know that when tech constraints and biz constraints override user goals and needs, our product, and its success will be compromised.

      Mark

      On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Mona Singh <mona.singh.n@...> wrote:

      I have been a UX/PO for several years now and completely agree with Austin that UX stands on 3 legs--User, Technology, and business. A UX person who works that way s ideal for the PO role. A UX person who focuses on the user is not the best suited for a PO role.

      On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Austin Govella <austin.govella@...> wrote:

      On Feb 18, 2011, at 6:23 AM, whyjg <whyjg@...> wrote:

      I published this blog post yesterday and would love your take on it.

      http://www.jeffgothelf.com/blog/ux-designer-as-product-owner/

      Jeff,

      Great post. I especially liked the third point about being a UX politician. I agree: that is hot!

      One part I chaffed against was the notion in the first point about UX being focused on the user. Good UX is always focused on the success of the users, the business, AND the technology. I firmly believe that if your UX is driven by a focus solely on the user, then you're missing 2/3s of the picture.

      --
      Austin Govella
      User Experience

      215.240.1265