RE: [agile-usability] security, agility, and usability

  • Mike Dwyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2011

      The book is on my buy list, Larry.  When I do read it – and enjoy it – I will write you.

      It isn’t just the redundancy, that have someone walking around provides.  There is 10,000 to 100,000 years of genetic refinement of a system that has adapted and inspected over that period of time and continues to do so today.  A UX should not –cannot be – something to replace the heuristics that happen between the ears.  The UX must augment.

      Take the helmet in the Warfighter, every feature and function acts as a force multiplier and it is designed to be accessible as the person does their job.  Or the thermal ‘goggles’ most firefighters have access to.  They ‘see through walls’ showing people, hotspots, and even warm pizza!  But the firefighter is the one that acts because their eyes are behind the goggles and their brains are processing the information.

      In short a really sophisticated UX can lull the brain into a false sense of predicted events.  That sir is what to exploit if you want a successful infiltration.  In this perspective, the more stuff you put in to track what is happening, the easier it is to create the illusion, because what is expected is already on the other side of the wire.  All we need to do is strip the timestamp and run a loop or a delay.

      Do I think Agile has a place in solving this – most definitely, but it isn’t necessarily in elegantly delivered code built by the best people who can code.  I firmly believe Agile works best when it builds enough support – at any one time – to leverage the skills and capabilities of the people doing the job.  To do that you need to put the ‘doer’ at the very front and build to meet their needs.  Lean manufacturing also has an impact, if we keep in mind to limit only what you do to what has been agreed to.

      From a systems perspective,  Agile needs to change gears, IMO.  The software we are so proud becomes a part of the solution, going lean would mean taking our seat in the bus of specialized skills who make the ‘doer’ a winner.  What we need to understand that the systems view looks at what happens before, during, and after the ‘tooling’ is done.  Once we do that and invite the other ‘specialized skills’ to the table – and listen to them – we can begin to improve the security, safety, and sanity of what people do to get the job done.

      Mike Dwyer

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."