Product Owner models for distributed teams?

  • allisonweiss
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2010
      We have a distributed team where everyone but the business resides and works together in one state and the business is in another state, 2 hours later. There has been a significant change in personnel in the business and there is very little in terms of 'subject matter expertness' and/or agile Product Ownership skills. Conversely, the development/testing team has had very little turnover recently. While they are relatively new at scrum and not complete business SME's, there is a lot of product knowledge on the team.

      Any suggestions on how to fill our product owner role in this environment?

      Thanks!
      Allison
      Scrum Master
      p.s. I will cross post this on a couple other groups
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 15, 2010
        On 09/15/2010 03:28 PM, allisonweiss wrote:
        > We have a distributed team where everyone but the business resides and works together in one state and the business is in another state, 2 hours later. There has been a significant change in personnel in the business and there is very little in terms of 'subject matter expertness' and/or agile Product Ownership skills. Conversely, the development/testing team has had very little turnover recently. While they are relatively new at scrum and not complete business SME's, there is a lot of product knowledge on the team.
        >
        > Any suggestions on how to fill our product owner role in this environment?

        In my view, it's vital to have somebody in the room who can speak
        authoritatively about the product. So in your shoes I'd probably take
        the most experienced, broad-thinking tester and make them de facto
        product manager, treating the far-off businesspeople like external
        stakeholders. In effect, this would make your collocated team a small
        development company, with one very important customer.

        That would allow you to isolate your team from the chaos and keep them
        productive while you figure out the right long-term relationship with
        the business stakeholders. Maybe they'll get involved and come out every
        other week, in which case your local product manager mainly acts as an
        information cache and reporting agent. Maybe they'll neglect you,
        benignly or otherwise, in which case your product manager will have wide
        latitude. Either way, you'll be isolated from the productivity-sapping
        effect of distant, possibly unhelpful overlords.

        William
      • David LaRue
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 15, 2010
          We have an off-site customer rep. No issues with that as our rep is familair with the products and customer base. We also have two off-site developers, four on site, and distributed management.

          We're relatively new to SCRUM and Agile but it is close to where we were before the company "improved" its process.

          David

          On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:28:46 +0000, allisonweiss wrote:

          >We have a distributed team where everyone but the business resides and works together in one state and the business is in another state, 2 hours later. There has been a significant change in personnel in the business
          and there is very little in terms of 'subject matter expertness' and/or agile Product Ownership skills. Conversely, the development/testing team has had very little turnover recently. While they are relatively new at scrum
          and not complete business SME's, there is a lot of product knowledge on the team.

          >Any suggestions on how to fill our product owner role in this environment?

          >Thanks!
          >Allison
          >Scrum Master
          >p.s. I will cross post this on a couple other groups

        • Margaret Motamed
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 15, 2010

            William has given you one very good way to proceed.

            We’ve take a different path. We have assigned a dev manager at the remote location to be the Proxy PO. And the “Lead” PO  is remote to the team. The co-located Proxy PO is mainly responsible for hour by hour local input to the team. We are also dealing with a large timezone gap.

            Margaret

            On 09/15/2010 03:28 PM, allisonweiss wrote:
            > We have a distributed team where everyone but the business resides and works together in one state and the business is in another state, 2 hours later. There has been a significant change in personnel in the business and there is very little in terms of 'subject matter expertness' and/or agile Product Ownership skills. Conversely, the development/testing team has had very little turnover recently. While they are relatively new at scrum and not complete business SME's, there is a lot of product knowledge on the team.
            >
            > Any suggestions on how to fill our product owner role in this environment?

            In my view, it's vital to have somebody in the room who can speak
            authoritatively about the product. So in your shoes I'd probably take
            the most experienced, broad-thinking tester and make them de facto
            product manager, treating the far-off businesspeople like external
            stakeholders. In effect, this would make your collocated team a small
            development company, with one very important customer.

            That would allow you to isolate your team from the chaos and keep them
            productive while you figure out the right long-term relationship with
            the business stakeholders. Maybe they'll get involved and come out every
            other week, in which case your local product manager mainly acts as an
            information cache and reporting agent. Maybe they'll neglect you,
            benignly or otherwise, in which case your product manager will have wide
            latitude. Either way, you'll be isolated from the productivity-sapping
            effect of distant, possibly unhelpful overlords.

            William

            Confidentiality notice: This message may contain confidential information. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not that person, you should not use this message. We request that you notify us by replying to this message, and then delete all copies including any contained in your reply. Thank you.