Re: [agile-usability] Product Metaphor

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28, 2010
      On 07/26/2010 10:31 PM, Joshua Kerievsky wrote:
      > I do wonder why we can't "save locations" in music - why is that only
      > limited to books and bookmarks? Maybe because older music players
      > couldn't support such a feature. Surely iTunes could easily record a
      > saved location inside a song (or sound file) and store that location
      > for easy retrieval. Seems to support the idea that the metaphor is
      > holding the designers back, yet it need not be the case, at least in
      > this example.

      iTunes certainly could do that if they wanted, and some other audio
      players definitely do. Not just modern MP3 players, either; some CD
      players offered bookmarking features. Even the first CD player had A->B
      looping, a primitive bookmarking, and it also had track indexes, a
      system for in-track skip points that has since fallen into disuse. I
      think that suggests why iTunes doesn't have bookmarking: most people
      don't want to do that with music.

      With novels and other linear reads, people will use a placeholder, so
      the iPod does keep track of where you left off in audiobooks and
      podcasts. Serious bookmarking, though, mainly happens with non-linear
      books, like textbooks and references. Those aren't popular as
      audiobooks, presumably because of audio's essential linearity.

      So I don't think it's the metaphor that is holding the designer back in
      this case. It's the medium, and the user's desire.