Re: [agile-usability] Re: Product Metaphor

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 24, 2010
      On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 7:57 AM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
      I really like this post.  I think it goes beyond "product vision" (which
      sometimes is exactly the bicycle pictured at the bottom of the posting)
      to "conceptual integrity."  This is another of Fred Brook's terms that
      has been mostly ignored in our industry.

      Thanks George.  I love the term "conceptual integrity" and didn't know it originated with Brooks.

      I don't know if I've said so, before, but thanks for resurrecting
      "metaphor" from the software development trash heap.

      Thanks again.  It surely needs a lot of care and attention to be fully brought back to life.

      --
      best,
      jk

      --
      Joshua Kerievsky
      Founder, CEO

      Amplify Your Agility
      Coaching | Training | Assessment | eLearning
    • Joshua Kerievsky
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 25, 2010
        On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Jared Spool <jspool@...> wrote:
        Great article. Nicely done.

        Thanks Jared.  (BTW, I loved your keynote speech at Agile2009!)

        I'm curious, though. Have you thought about what happens when you have functionality, features, or user needs that extend beyond the metaphor?

        Yes.  Here's an example:

        For our eLearning software, we used to have a book metaphor.  We had several "interactive" books and would teach with these "books."    One day one of our instructors said "I want a playlist."  He needed a way to create a pathway through several of our books, for use in classrooms.   Books don't support that idea, so the metaphor didn't fit.  His need prompted us to reflect on our current metaphor and realize that a music metaphor would be a far better fit.

        Now that we have a well-established music metaphor, we've had a few requests for "bookmarks."  :-)

        ...(to be continued, with responses to the rest of your response -- gotta back and leave for a trip now).

        --
        best,
        jk

        --
        Joshua Kerievsky
        Founder, CEO
        Industrial Logic, Inc.
        Web: http://industriallogic.com
        Twitter: @JoshuaKerievsky, @IndustrialLogic

        Amplify Your Agility
        Coaching | Training | Assessment | eLearning
      • Larry Constantine
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010

          Jared wrote:

          > So, it's a hard line to tow: make it like existing real-world elements (the metaphor approach) or innovate?

          Wonderful play on metaphors. Intentional? The old expression is “to toe the line” (to position one’s toes on the line) but your innovation (to pull the rope, another possible nautical nod) also works. Either very clever or lucky slip, which can also be a route to design success. :-)

          As to real-world metaphors, I thought this had been largely settled a decade ago, except at Apple. Any presentation technique should be used only in so far as it enhances usability and the user experience. When it is mere decoration it begins to cross the line, and when it gets in the way, it should be discarded. Interaction design at its best creates new metaphors that work so well that they seem to users as if they were already familiar, always there. We call this the “Of course, I knew it!” experience. The user didn’t know it until they encountered it, but it seems so right that it feels like they have always known.

          --Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow
            Professor |  University of Madeira | Funchal , Portugal
            Institute Fellow | Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute | www.M-ITI.org

          ,___

        • Joshua Kerievsky
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
            On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Jared Spool <jspool@...> wrote:
            Now that we have a well-established music metaphor, we've had a few requests for "bookmarks."  :-)

            I guess that was my point.

            If you're using the metaphor as a way to brainstorm functionality and features ("if our software was a car, what would it be like?"), that works, because you don't have to be dogmatic by sticking with the metaphor.

            However, if you try to build it out as a UI, you run into issues where the metaphor doesn't support the innovation (because if you did, you wouldn't be replacing it).

            Hi Jared,

            I'm not sure.  I think it depends on how dogmatic one is.

            For example, we're likely going to experiment with a "save this (or my) location" link on pages in our eLearning.  Will that break our music metaphor?  A bookmark symbol would surely break it, while a simple link may be just fine (though the users will ultimately be the judge).

            This is the current argument many designers have against Apple's iPad & iPhone design, where elements, like the calendar and notebook, have real-world metaphorical references to their traditional form factors (think the spiral "binding" and yellow lines on the notepad). Their argument is that it's holding back on what the design could be.

            Not sure about calendar, but notebook feels refreshingly simple and so easy to use for quickly storing/pasting notes on iPad/iPhone.   I don't see what kind of innovation one would need from it, though I am low on sleep.

            The counter to their argument is that you need to ground the design in something users are familiar with. If it's too novel, then they can't grok it, because none of their previous experience helps them with the new interface.

            I do wonder why we can't "save locations" in music - why is that only limited to books and bookmarks?   Maybe because older music players couldn't support such a feature.  Surely iTunes could easily record a saved location inside a song (or sound file) and store that location for easy retrieval.   Seems to support the idea that the metaphor is holding the designers back, yet it need not be the case, at least in this example.

            So, it's a hard line to tow: make it like existing real-world elements (the metaphor approach) or innovate?

            Tough choice. Both would be nice!

            best
            jk

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 28, 2010
              On 07/26/2010 10:31 PM, Joshua Kerievsky wrote:
              > I do wonder why we can't "save locations" in music - why is that only
              > limited to books and bookmarks? Maybe because older music players
              > couldn't support such a feature. Surely iTunes could easily record a
              > saved location inside a song (or sound file) and store that location
              > for easy retrieval. Seems to support the idea that the metaphor is
              > holding the designers back, yet it need not be the case, at least in
              > this example.

              iTunes certainly could do that if they wanted, and some other audio
              players definitely do. Not just modern MP3 players, either; some CD
              players offered bookmarking features. Even the first CD player had A->B
              looping, a primitive bookmarking, and it also had track indexes, a
              system for in-track skip points that has since fallen into disuse. I
              think that suggests why iTunes doesn't have bookmarking: most people
              don't want to do that with music.

              With novels and other linear reads, people will use a placeholder, so
              the iPod does keep track of where you left off in audiobooks and
              podcasts. Serious bookmarking, though, mainly happens with non-linear
              books, like textbooks and references. Those aren't popular as
              audiobooks, presumably because of audio's essential linearity.

              So I don't think it's the metaphor that is holding the designer back in
              this case. It's the medium, and the user's desire.