Actually, You Might Be Your User

  • Jared Spool
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2010
      Hello everyone,

      One tension that frequently arises in trying to design usable systems
      is this idea that we're not our user and therefore we can't see the
      design the way they do. That's why we employ techniques such as
      usability testing, field studies, and personas.

      But, what happens when we are the users? When we are designing for
      ourselves?

      I wrote about this in a little piece I call "Actually, You Might Be
      Your User" - http://www.uie.com/articles/self_design

      What do you think?

      Jared

      Jared M. Spool
      User Interface Engineering
      510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
      e: jspool@... p: +1 978 327 5561
      http://uie.com Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks Twitter: @jmspool
    • Marius van Dam
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2010
        Hi Jared,

        Interesting subject. The 37signals example is well known example of what you call self design and they succeed with that.

        The example of Apple is a bit of a paradox. UX practioners use the success of Apple to sell UX practices. We like to say that if you want to create products as succesful as Apple's products you need to use UX practices. However if Apple doesn't use any of these practices how valid is that argument?

        How much do we (you) know about how Apple creates their products?

        - User research: none?
        - Prototyping: lot's of it: in very high fidelity (looking/working like a final product)
        - Design: design teams work on a product working closely with engineers. But Steve has final say (http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/147/apple-nation.html?page=0,1)
        - Usability testing: are there really no Usability tests done on for example the iphone? There must be some way that designs and assumptions are validated with people outside Apple before the product goes in production?

        Curious if you have any further insights.

        Regards, Marius

        --
        Met vriendelijke groet,

        Marius van Dam