Somethings I really don't understand

  • Mike Dwyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2010

      1.      Why has half tone become so common?  I see it in back ground, in font colors?   IMO it creates a huge amount of fatigue for some folks (perhaps those above the age of 50)

      2.      What is it with the popularity of micro fonts?  LinkedIn messages are a example that drives me nuts.

      3.      Why do some many people think I have a gaming system and can’t wait to see how cool the latest animated 3d  looks like.   I like the games, but not when I have 15 minutes to look up 40 things before the next flight.

      4.      How do I make this a positive issue without making it into a generational thing?  Something that I was so good at doing 30 years ago.

      I bring this up because I think that to be truly Agile in any area you have to look at many personas and make sure that ALL the critical needs are met.

      A long time ago (in the 1980’s) there was a huge amount of work done about font type and size used on screens and print outs.  We found, to our chagrin, that cool small fonts were the bane of most of the ‘older’ folks  (that is to say anyone with bifocals).

      Well today’s world is a really complicated place and I don’t have much to say on this subject except NOW I have the ‘transitional lenses’ and the need to spend 12 – 15 hours a day on line inorder to keep helping folks.  Please help us by not being as dumb as we were when tis p[roblem was handled with True type and GUI.  It just prolonged the issue until it came back to bit all of us.

      Thanks.

      Mike Dwyer
      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."

    • Jeanne Hallock
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2010
        >> A long time ago (in the 1980’s) there was a huge amount of work done
        about font type and size used on screens and print outs. We found, to our
        chagrin, that cool small fonts were the bane of most of the ‘older’
        folks (that is to say anyone with bifocals).

        This isn't an answer to your question, but just an added comment. Sorry.

        About 5 years ago I read a study on font sizes (can't remember who did it),
        but they found that designers shouldn't use small fonts for 20 somethings
        either, because most of the time if they are sitting in front of a monitor
        at a desk they are tipping their chairs back on the back legs, so are
        further away from the monitor and can't read it either.

        Jeanne Hallock