Categorization Tool

  • Dean Morrow
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 23, 2010
      Anyone know of good categorization tool?

      I'm looking for a tool to create a new categorization schema for a large ecommerce site, something that makes it easy to move, copy, promote and demote categories. Need to view the whole thing as a text tree hierarchy, and be able to export to Excel or csv. Preferably free (or available in MS Office).

      Outliner in Word and Powerpoint are great from the usability side, but I haven't found any way to maintain the structure on export. Finding the same problem with mindmapping tools.

      I'm starting with card sorting, but with 10,000 categories, index cards become too cumbersome for refinement purposes.

      Thanks!

      -Dean
    • Ted Young
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 23, 2010
        Could you use the outlining features in Word (or Excel)? That is, if
        I'm interpreting the meaning of "categorization tool" correctly.

        ;ted

        On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Dean Morrow <dmorrow6@...> wrote:
        > Anyone know of good categorization tool?
        >
        > I'm looking for a tool to create a new categorization schema for a large ecommerce site, something that makes it easy to move, copy, promote and demote categories. Need to view the whole thing as a text tree hierarchy, and be able to export to Excel or csv. Preferably free (or available in MS Office).
        >
        > Outliner in Word and Powerpoint are great from the usability side, but I haven't found any way to maintain the structure on export. Finding the same problem with mindmapping tools.
        >
        > I'm starting with card sorting, but with 10,000 categories, index cards become too cumbersome for refinement purposes.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Dean

      • Osama Sohaib
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2010

          is free online tool for card sorting its trail version limited to 10 participant, you can view cluster analysis, and based on some other criteria also. you can save it in excel too.

          Regards,
          sohaib

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 24, 2010
                  There are a couple of free spreadsheets on the 'net that are quite good. It's been several years since I did card sort analysis, but I remember this one being quite good:

                  http://rosenfeldmedia.com/books/cardsorting/blog/card_sort_analysis_spreadsheet/

                  or it might have been this one:

                  http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/analyzing_card_sort_results_with_a_spreadsheet_template

                  In any case, googling "cardsort excel spreadsheet" finds quite a few :)

                  Tim

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                    Yes, I'm looking for a tool that I would use in a manual design process. It's striclty for creating a product hierarchy. At this point, I'm not concerned with the unstructured data and document/content/knowledge management, which seems to be the intent of all the auto-classifiers.

                    -Dean

                    --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:

                    > Oops, looks like I didn't read Dean's original message carefully.
                    >
                    > I'm curious, the tools that are mentioned are automated
                    > classifiers/categorizers. What about mostly-manual (i.e., partially
                    > assisted) categorization?
                    >
                    > ;ted
                    >
                    > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Jeff Lopez-Stuit <jeff.lopezstuit@...
                    > > wrote:
                    >

                    > > You can find a long list of categorization and taxonomy tools here:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.searchtools.com/info/classifiers-tools.html
                    > >
                    > > - Jeff
                    > >

                    > > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Dean Morrow <dmorrow6@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > >> Anyone know of good categorization tool?
                    > >>
                    > >> I'm looking for a tool to create a new categorization schema for a large
                    > >> ecommerce site, something that makes it easy to move, copy, promote and
                    > >> demote categories. Need to view the whole thing as a text tree hierarchy,
                    > >> and be able to export to Excel or csv. Preferably free (or available in MS
                    > >> Office).
                    > >>
                    > >> Outliner in Word and Powerpoint are great from the usability side, but I
                    > >> haven't found any way to maintain the structure on export. Finding the same
                    > >> problem with mindmapping tools.
                    > >>
                    > >> I'm starting with card sorting, but with 10,000 categories, index cards
                    > >> become too cumbersome for refinement purposes.
                    > >>
                    > >> Thanks!
                    > >>
                    > >> -Dean

                  • Dan Blaker
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                      I'd recommend OmniGraffle for the Mac. It's a diagramming/charting
                      tool with an outline mode. If you need more outlining power, check out
                      OmniOutliner which generates files that can be imported into Graffle
                      to autogenerate a diagram from the outline.

                      DGB

                      On Feb 25, 2010, at 10:36 AM, "Dean Morrow" <dmorrow6@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, I'm looking for a tool that I would use in a manual design
                      > process. It's striclty for creating a product hierarchy. At this
                      > point, I'm not concerned with the unstructured data and document/
                      > content/knowledge management, which seems to be the intent of all
                      > the auto-classifiers.
                      >
                      > -Dean
                      >
                      > --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Ted Young <tedyoung@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Oops, looks like I didn't read Dean's original message carefully.
                      >>
                      >> I'm curious, the tools that are mentioned are automated
                      >> classifiers/categorizers. What about mostly-manual (i.e., partially
                      >> assisted) categorization?
                      >>
                      >> ;ted
                      >>
                      >> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Jeff Lopez-Stuit
                      >> <jeff.lopezstuit@...
                      >>> wrote:
                      >>

                      >>> You can find a long list of categorization and taxonomy tools here:
                      >>>
                      >>> http://www.searchtools.com/info/classifiers-tools.html
                      >>>
                      >>> - Jeff

                    • Dean Morrow
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                        Thanks Tim,

                        I looked at these and other card sort tools early on, but they all seemed to be striclty for data collection and analysis. None of them looked like they would be particularly helpful in the actual design process, so I didn't go any further with them.

                        For me, these type of tools may be fine for BUFD, but they are overkill for interative design.

                        -Dean

                        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Tim Wright <sambo.shacklock@...> wrote:

                        > There are a couple of free spreadsheets on the 'net that are quite good.
                        > It's been several years since I did card sort analysis, but I remember this
                        > one being quite good:
                        >
                        > http://rosenfeldmedia.com/books/cardsorting/blog/card_sort_analysis_spreadsheet/
                        >
                        > or it might have been this one:
                        >
                        > http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/analyzing_card_sort_results_with_a_spreadsheet_template
                        >
                        > In any case, googling "cardsort excel spreadsheet" finds quite a few :)
                        >
                        > Tim
                        >

                        > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Dean Morrow <dmorrow6@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Anyone know of good categorization tool?
                        > >
                        > > I'm looking for a tool to create a new categorization schema for a large
                        > > ecommerce site, something that makes it easy to move, copy, promote and
                        > > demote categories. Need to view the whole thing as a text tree hierarchy,
                        > > and be able to export to Excel or csv. Preferably free (or available in MS
                        > > Office).
                        > >
                        > > Outliner in Word and Powerpoint are great from the usability side, but I
                        > > haven't found any way to maintain the structure on export. Finding the same
                        > > problem with mindmapping tools.
                        > >
                        > > I'm starting with card sorting, but with 10,000 categories, index cards
                        > > become too cumbersome for refinement purposes.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks!
                        > >
                        > > -Dean

                      • Scott Preece
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                          I would lean towards a commercial taxonomy-management tool built on top of a database. When we looked at this, we found that the functional requirements for the tool were a lot heavier than we wanted to implement ourselves, especially if you have multiple people working on the taxonomy simultaneously. If you're working on a commercial site, and building a taxonomy large enough to need a tool, the cost of a good tool is probably worth it.

                          We thought a tool called Synaptica looked pretty good, but this was two years ago and I have no idea whether it's still in the market.

                          regards,
                          scott

                          I looked at these and other card sort tools early on, but they all seemed to be striclty for data collection and analysis. None of them looked like they would be particularly helpful in the actual design process, so I didn't go any further with them.

                          For me, these type of tools may be fine for BUFD, but they are overkill for interative design.

                          -Dean

                          --- In agile-usability@ yahoogroups. com, Tim Wright <sambo.shacklock@ ...> wrote:

                          > There are a couple of free spreadsheets on the 'net that are quite good.
                          > It's been several years since I did card sort analysis, but I remember this
                          > one being quite good:
                          >
                          > http://rosenfeldmedia.com/books/cardsorting/blog/card_sort_analysis_spreadsheet/
                          >
                          > or it might have been this one:
                          >
                          > http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/analyzing_card_sort_results_with_a_spreadsheet_template
                          >
                          > In any case, googling "cardsort excel spreadsheet" finds quite a few :)
                          >
                          > Tim
                          >

                          > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Dean Morrow <dmorrow6@.. .> wrote:
                          >

                          > > Anyone know of good categorization tool?
                          > >
                          > > I'm looking for a tool to create a new categorization schema for a large
                          > > ecommerce site, something that makes it easy to move, copy, promote and
                          > > demote categories. Need to view the whole thing as a text tree hierarchy,
                          > > and be able to export to Excel or csv. Preferably free (or available in MS
                          > > Office).
                          > >
                          > > Outliner in Word and Powerpoint are great from the usability side, but I
                          > > haven't found any way to maintain the structure on export. Finding the same
                          > > problem with mindmapping tools.
                          > >
                          > > I'm starting with card sorting, but with 10,000 categories, index cards
                          > > become too cumbersome for refinement purposes.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks!
                          > >
                          > > -Dean

                        • Manish Pillewar
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                            IBM EZSort and EZCalc
                            I've used them often and found them to be helpful.
                            Consider SPSS, if you can bear with the tool complexity.

                            -Manish Govind Pillewar
                             Designer | User Experiences
                             ThoughtWorks Inc.