RE: [agile-usability] Re: Real data

  • Glen B. Alleman
    Message 1 of 218 , Feb 1, 2010
      Dave,

      Yes. For example in the same building there are programs with CMMI ML 5 for
      that program, a site CMMI ML 3, equivalent programs with no CMMI
      requirement, but similar outcomes. This is all in the domain of avionics
      software.

      I would conjecture that if the cost of failure is low, the business critical
      aspects of the project are also low. In the firms we work, there is little
      chance to have a non-critical business system or product project. Those days
      are over.

      So to reflect your last paragraph, do you see agile developers working on
      enterprise class IT systems - ERP, transaction processing (insurance claims
      processing for example), EDM/PDM system (typically in manufacturing or
      industrial)?

      Glen

      Message 218 of 218 , Feb 12, 2010
        Hi, Jon,

        Jon Kern wrote:
        > ok, maybe it is silly to debate the term...
        >
        > George it's a free country, use method anytime you please :-)
        >
        > I personally will only use "method" when I want to describe some way
        > that I achieve something over and over. Often in an abstract sense,
        > often in a step-wise way. Often because the "something" is a desirous
        > end goal, and one that I (or someone else) wants more than one time.
        >
        > I would not describe the /ad hoc/ "how" of the one and only time I will
        > ever do something as a "method" if it is not.

        I've never found creating software to be a "one and only time" no matter
        how small the program. There's a lot of similarity between writing one
        line of code and writing the next.

        And I've observed, that people generally continue to do something
        somewhat in the fashion they've done it before. Thoughtful people will
        consider the result their achieving, and modify their actions to try to
        improve some aspect.

        I've never seen anyone continue to approach the work as if they'd never
        done anything like it before, choosing some completely different way of
        working. And I've never seen anyone carefully follow the recipe in a
        process manual. At best, a process manual gives the worker some ideas.

        It's the process people actually /do/ that has an effect. If you and
        Scott and Glen want to reserve the word "method" for officially blessed
        procedures, go right ahead. It won't change a thing.

        - George