Re: [agile-usability] UX books for programmers

  • Nancy Frishberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
      On Dec 7, 2009, at 8:44 AM, Robert Gravina wrote:

      Catching up on my reading, and offering at least one slightly older
      work that I've enjoyed and recommended:

      Ellen Isaacs (http://izix.com/index.html) and Alan Walendowski's
      Designing from Both Side of the Screen. They walk through the
      interaction between user-centered design activities (by the designer
      and with users & customers) and the developer, who likely has greater
      knowledge of the possibilities and limitations of the chosen
      technology. Plus they talk about developing for 2 delivery platforms
      (PC & mobile) at once.

      http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Both-Sides-Screen-Collaborate/dp/0672321513/
      (and wow! I'm surprised that the price has held or gone up!)
      -- Nancy

      Nancy Frishberg +1 650 804 5800 mobile
      nancyf@...
    • Robert Gravina
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
        2009/12/30 hackerchick <haxrchick@...>
         > I'll also check out Designing Interfaces and Designing the Obvious.
          I know the latter is meant for web apps, but I wonder - with the
        newer development technologies like WPF and Adobe Air if the
        distinction between desktop applications & web applications is really
        starting to blur because we're not restricted to traditional windows
        conventions?

        I read through Designing Interfaces over a week or so and found it
        *excellent* and was just what I was looking for. The main reason for
        this is that the author has created a catalouge of patterns for UIs
        spanning web, desktop and mobile, much like we have design patterns
        for software. I feel like now I can look at a UI problem and have
        somewhere to start, and know of examples of real-world applications
        which tackle the same problem (or similar problems) in similar ways. I
        feel one step closer to being able to create great interfaces, and not
        just recognise them. It's a good book... thanks to Tim for
        recommending it!

        Robert