Re: [agile-usability] Linkedin Group on Agile and UX

  • Marius van Dam
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010
      They certainly do use LinkedIn: the group grew from 2 to 33 members in a few hours.

      My 2 cents on 'Agile Project Managers':

      I'm a PM myself but essentially the PM model and the Agile model are different worlds. They are not necessarily incompatible though. A large project for a new online photo printing service could very well be managed using Prince2 (or similar) where different teams report to the project manager. The development of the supporting web app could be done using Scrum. While the set up of the photo printing facility is managed in a more traditional waterfall manner.

      Of course there is also another way by using the Scrum of Scrum, but I wonder if Scrum if fit for setting up a photo printing facility.

      Anyhow in an Agile environment the traditional PM will have to adapt hence the term 'Agile Project Management/Manager'. (not sure if anyone has this on his business card though)

      Regards,

      Marius van Dam

      YouAreHere, weblog on UX+Agile - http://www.youarehere.nl

      2010/1/5 Jared Spool <jspool@...>

      On Jan 5, 2010, at 1:49 PM, William Pietri wrote:

      On 01/05/2010 05:21 AM, mariusvandam wrote:
      > [...] it's a subgroup of the 'Agile Project Managers' group. [...]

      This is a bit of a digression, but what does an Agile project manager do?

      Apparently, they use LinkedIn.

      Jared

      --
      Met vriendelijke groet,

      Marius van Dam
      ---
      mariusvandam@...
    • Craig Davidson
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
        What do you call the SCRUM master when you are not doing SCRUM? ;-)

        2010/1/6 Glennette Clark <glennette@...>
        Essentially, another name for a SCRUM master.

        Glennette

        --
        Glennette Clark
        Lazy Smart Creative

        UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           agile-usability-digest@yahoogroups.com
           agile-usability-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Anders Ramsay
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
          What you call yourself is usually only important if you don't know what you're  doing. If you know what you're doing and/or are upfront about not knowing, that will speak louder than any titles you might give yourself. The people who are managing the project are the project managers, meaning someone else may very well have that title but isn't actually managing (or shepherding, facilitating, whatever) much of anything.

          Oh, and it's Scrum, not SCRUM (It's not an abbreviation.)

          -Anders

          Sent from my iPhone

          --
          Glennette Clark
          Lazy Smart Creative

          UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc. eventbrite. com

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             agile-usability- digest@yahoogroups.com
             agile-usability- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        • Glennette Clark
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
            I suspect that you could call yourself an Agile project manager. I don't think that the duties, per se, are all that different it is just a matter of which agile methodology you choose to follow. Because I was trained as a SCRUM Master, that is what I called myself. I had another colleague who was not specifically trained in SCRUM who just referred to herself as a project manager.

            In my opinion, it is a matter of semantics and agile methodology.

            Glennette

            --
            Glennette Clark
            Lazy Smart Creative
            202-683-9508
            glennette@...

            UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               agile-usability-digest@yahoogroups.com
               agile-usability-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Glennette Clark
            Lazy Smart Creative
            202-683-9508
            glennette@...

            UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com
          • Jared Spool
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010

              On Jan 7, 2010, at 6:38 AM, Craig Davidson wrote:

              What do you call the SCRUM master when you are not doing SCRUM? ;-)

              Bored?