Re: [agile-usability] Linkedin Group on Agile and UX

  • Glennette Clark
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
      Essentially, another name for a SCRUM master.

      Glennette

      --
      Glennette Clark
      Lazy Smart Creative

      UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com
    • Marius van Dam
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010
        They certainly do use LinkedIn: the group grew from 2 to 33 members in a few hours.

        My 2 cents on 'Agile Project Managers':

        I'm a PM myself but essentially the PM model and the Agile model are different worlds. They are not necessarily incompatible though. A large project for a new online photo printing service could very well be managed using Prince2 (or similar) where different teams report to the project manager. The development of the supporting web app could be done using Scrum. While the set up of the photo printing facility is managed in a more traditional waterfall manner.

        Of course there is also another way by using the Scrum of Scrum, but I wonder if Scrum if fit for setting up a photo printing facility.

        Anyhow in an Agile environment the traditional PM will have to adapt hence the term 'Agile Project Management/Manager'. (not sure if anyone has this on his business card though)

        Regards,

        Marius van Dam

        YouAreHere, weblog on UX+Agile - http://www.youarehere.nl

        2010/1/5 Jared Spool <jspool@...>

        On Jan 5, 2010, at 1:49 PM, William Pietri wrote:

        On 01/05/2010 05:21 AM, mariusvandam wrote:
        > [...] it's a subgroup of the 'Agile Project Managers' group. [...]

        This is a bit of a digression, but what does an Agile project manager do?

        Apparently, they use LinkedIn.

        Jared

        --
        Met vriendelijke groet,

        Marius van Dam
        ---
        mariusvandam@...
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010
          Heh. I was going to say it sounds like what all agile team members
          should be doing, as well as any manager in an agile organization.

          I guess the actual function of an agile project manager will have to
          remain a mystery to me for now, but my very tentative assumption is that
          it has something to do with bridging the gaps that appear in
          organizations that are more agile in some spots than others. Which is
          what you'd expect to find in larger or older organizations attempting
          transitions.

          Thanks for indulging the digression.

          William

          On 01/05/2010 08:56 PM, Glennette Clark wrote:
          > Essentially, another name for a SCRUM master.
          >
          > Glennette
          >
          > On 1/5/10, Tim Wright<sambo.shacklock@...> wrote:
          >
          >> To quote from http://www.bigvisible.com/gschlitz/passive-conduit/ (because
          >> Im tired after work :)
          >>
          >> "I believe that one of the simplest and most effective things an Agile
          >> project manager can do is, ironically, nothing!
          >>
          >> "Well, not really *nothing*. But none of the things mentioned above. The
          >> Agile PM should be a conduit of information, a “passive conduit” as Thomsett
          >> describes nicely in his excellent book. Instead of solving problems, focus
          >> on getting problems to the right people. For every challenge, risk and issue
          >> arises, spend your time communicating to those who need to know, those who
          >> are empowered and able to solve the challenge or issue, or who are affected
          >> by the risk."
          >>
          >> Tim
          >>
          >> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM, William Pietri<william@...> wrote:
          >>

          >>> On 01/05/2010 06:20 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
          >>>
          >>> IT's a slightly different setup than that. The Agile PM has two teams that
          >>> report to him (either through secondment from business or as their
          >>> managers
          >>> - we don't do the matrix resourcing anymore). One is the development team
          >>> and the other is the business experts team. The business experts act more
          >>> like a customer or product owner.
          >>>
          >>> The project is measured (and the PM rewarded) by how well the project
          >>> meets
          >>> several "success sliders" and removes roadblocks that hinder the team
          >>> achieving those measures - as well as identifying external (to the
          >>> project)
          >>> things that might impact the team.
          >>>

          >>> Interesting. I'm still a little unclear on what that person actually does.
          >>> You mentioned previously that the project manager is responsible for
          >>> delivery, but in the fully Agile shops I'm familiar with, it's the team
          >>> that
          >>> is responsible.
          >>>
          >>> Just so I can understand their function better, what would happen if you
          >>> didn't have the project manager? If you just had all of those people
          >>> working
          >>> as one team with common goals?
          >>>
          >>> William

        • Craig Davidson
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
            What do you call the SCRUM master when you are not doing SCRUM? ;-)

            --
            Glennette Clark
            Lazy Smart Creative
            202-683-9508
            glennette@...

            UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               agile-usability-digest@yahoogroups.com
               agile-usability-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Anders Ramsay
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
              What you call yourself is usually only important if you don't know what you're  doing. If you know what you're doing and/or are upfront about not knowing, that will speak louder than any titles you might give yourself. The people who are managing the project are the project managers, meaning someone else may very well have that title but isn't actually managing (or shepherding, facilitating, whatever) much of anything.

              Oh, and it's Scrum, not SCRUM (It's not an abbreviation.)

              -Anders

              Sent from my iPhone

              --
              Glennette Clark
              Lazy Smart Creative

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                I suspect that you could call yourself an Agile project manager. I don't think that the duties, per se, are all that different it is just a matter of which agile methodology you choose to follow. Because I was trained as a SCRUM Master, that is what I called myself. I had another colleague who was not specifically trained in SCRUM who just referred to herself as a project manager.

                In my opinion, it is a matter of semantics and agile methodology.

                Glennette

                --
                Glennette Clark
                Lazy Smart Creative
                202-683-9508
                glennette@...

                UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   agile-usability-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   agile-usability-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                Glennette Clark
                Lazy Smart Creative
                202-683-9508
                glennette@...

                UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com
              • Jared Spool
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010

                  On Jan 7, 2010, at 6:38 AM, Craig Davidson wrote:

                  What do you call the SCRUM master when you are not doing SCRUM? ;-)

                  Bored?