Re: [agile-usability] Linkedin Group on Agile and UX

  • Tim Wright
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010

      In our organisation, Agile PMs are responsible for delivary of all "in scope" project outputs. This is different to a scrummaster who is responsible for effective functioning of the team (give or take a few sterotypes). Typically, tho, the PM is an outward facing role who is always talking to other PMs and stakeholders to clear the path for project success and the scrummaster helps the team follow the path.
      Tim
      On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Margaret Motamed <motamed@...> wrote:

      And we use yahoogroups!

      Seriously, I am currently the scrum master for our division's agile transformation (enterprise transition) team. And I hope to become a product owner for one of the dev teams. I am also a program manager, a card carrying PMP and now CSM too smile. I have previously people managed a team of ux folk. We set up our company's first usability lab and trailblased personas. But none of it took the first time. So that's why I'm listening here. I've been a business analyst. A sw dev. A hardware engr. A research team member. Etc.

      Think of us useful team members who are generally resourceful. And enterprise wide there are still project details to manage too

      Margaret
      Fledgling blog www.agiledreamer.com
      Margaret

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
        Hello, Tim. On Tuesday, January 5, 2010, at 5:21:10 PM, you wrote:

        > In our organisation, Agile PMs are responsible for delivary of all "in
        > scope" project outputs. This is different to a scrummaster who is
        > responsible for effective functioning of the team (give or take a few
        > sterotypes). Typically, tho, the PM is an outward facing role who is always
        > talking to other PMs and stakeholders to clear the path for project success
        > and the scrummaster helps the team follow the path.

        In name-brand Agile that would be the product owner or customer
        role, and it requires domain knowledge and responsibility more than
        project management skill.

        Ron Jeffries
        www.XProgramming.com
        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Fatalism is born of the fear of failure, for we all believe that we carry
        success in our own hands, and we suspect that our hands are weak. -- Conrad
      • chris chandler
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
          Tim,

          Could you be more specific about "clearing the path for project success" means?

          In my organization, where the PMs are mostly working in the waterfall way, they handle project resourcing (we are an highly projectized internal agency and each team member bills their time by the hour... which is it's own kettle of fish...), so making sure the teams have who they need when they need them and resolving resource conflicts between different teams/projects is one "clearing the way" task PMs perform (again, specifically waterfall talk here).

          Since we do hourly billing, the PMs are also responsible for budgeting and accounting. They give regular financial reports to management about how the projects are "burning" against planned budgets.

          Both of these activities also feed into long range resource and budge forecasting.

          I'm not sure who on the "team" would take on these responsibilities in the Agile world.

          -cc

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
            IT's a slightly different setup than that. The Agile PM has two teams that report to him (either through secondment from business or as their managers - we don't do the matrix resourcing anymore). One is the development team and the other is the business experts team. The business experts act more like a customer or product owner.

            The project is measured (and the PM rewarded) by how well the project meets several "success sliders" and removes roadblocks that hinder the team achieving those measures - as well as identifying external (to the project) things that might impact the team.
            The sliders are:

            ¨ Objectives;
            ¨ Stakeholder satisfaction;
            ¨ Budget;
            ¨ Deadline;
            ¨ Added Value;
            ¨ Quality; and
            ¨ Team satisfaction.

            A short intro is here:

            Essentially, we're following Rod Tomsett's "Radical Project Management" that he later renamed "Agile Project Management".

            I should also mention that my organisation is currently restructing all project delivary around these lines - quite a move away from waterfall!

            Tim

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
              On 01/05/2010 06:20 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
              IT's a slightly different setup than that. The Agile PM has two teams that report to him (either through secondment from business or as their managers - we don't do the matrix resourcing anymore). One is the development team and the other is the business experts team. The business experts act more like a customer or product owner.

              The project is measured (and the PM rewarded) by how well the project meets several "success sliders" and removes roadblocks that hinder the team achieving those measures - as well as identifying external (to the project) things that might impact the team.

              Interesting. I'm still a little unclear on what that person actually does. You mentioned previously that the project manager is responsible for delivery, but in the fully Agile shops I'm familiar with, it's the team that is responsible.

              Just so I can understand their function better, what would happen if you didn't have the project manager? If you just had all of those people working as one team with common goals?

              William
            • Tim Wright
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                To quote from http://www.bigvisible.com/gschlitz/passive-conduit/ (because Im tired after work :)

                "I believe that one of the simplest and most effective things an Agile project manager can do is, ironically, nothing!

                "Well, not really nothing. But none of the things mentioned above. The Agile PM should be a conduit of information, a “passive conduit” as Thomsett describes nicely in his excellent book. Instead of solving problems, focus on getting problems to the right people. For every challenge, risk and issue arises, spend your time communicating to those who need to know, those who are empowered and able to solve the challenge or issue, or who are affected by the risk."

                Tim

                On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM, William Pietri <william@...> wrote:

[...]

              • Glennette Clark
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                  Essentially, another name for a SCRUM master.

                  Glennette

                  --
                  Glennette Clark
                  Lazy Smart Creative

                  UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com
                • Marius van Dam
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010
                    They certainly do use LinkedIn: the group grew from 2 to 33 members in a few hours.

                    My 2 cents on 'Agile Project Managers':

                    I'm a PM myself but essentially the PM model and the Agile model are different worlds. They are not necessarily incompatible though. A large project for a new online photo printing service could very well be managed using Prince2 (or similar) where different teams report to the project manager. The development of the supporting web app could be done using Scrum. While the set up of the photo printing facility is managed in a more traditional waterfall manner.

                    Of course there is also another way by using the Scrum of Scrum, but I wonder if Scrum if fit for setting up a photo printing facility.

                    Anyhow in an Agile environment the traditional PM will have to adapt hence the term 'Agile Project Management/Manager'. (not sure if anyone has this on his business card though)

                    Regards,

                    Marius van Dam

                    YouAreHere, weblog on UX+Agile - http://www.youarehere.nl

                    2010/1/5 Jared Spool <jspool@...>

                    On Jan 5, 2010, at 1:49 PM, William Pietri wrote:

                    On 01/05/2010 05:21 AM, mariusvandam wrote:
                    > [...] it's a subgroup of the 'Agile Project Managers' group. [...]

                    This is a bit of a digression, but what does an Agile project manager do?

                    Apparently, they use LinkedIn.

                    Jared

                    --
                    Met vriendelijke groet,

                    Marius van Dam
                    ---
                    mariusvandam@...
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010
                      Heh. I was going to say it sounds like what all agile team members
                      should be doing, as well as any manager in an agile organization.

                      I guess the actual function of an agile project manager will have to
                      remain a mystery to me for now, but my very tentative assumption is that
                      it has something to do with bridging the gaps that appear in
                      organizations that are more agile in some spots than others. Which is
                      what you'd expect to find in larger or older organizations attempting
                      transitions.

                      Thanks for indulging the digression.

                      William

                      On 01/05/2010 08:56 PM, Glennette Clark wrote:
                      > Essentially, another name for a SCRUM master.
                      >
                      > Glennette
                      >
                      > On 1/5/10, Tim Wright<sambo.shacklock@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> To quote from http://www.bigvisible.com/gschlitz/passive-conduit/ (because
                      >> Im tired after work :)
                      >>
                      >> "I believe that one of the simplest and most effective things an Agile
                      >> project manager can do is, ironically, nothing!
                      >>
                      >> "Well, not really *nothing*. But none of the things mentioned above. The
                      >> Agile PM should be a conduit of information, a “passive conduit” as Thomsett
                      >> describes nicely in his excellent book. Instead of solving problems, focus
                      >> on getting problems to the right people. For every challenge, risk and issue
                      >> arises, spend your time communicating to those who need to know, those who
                      >> are empowered and able to solve the challenge or issue, or who are affected
                      >> by the risk."
                      >>
                      >> Tim
                      >>
                      >> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM, William Pietri<william@...> wrote:
                      >>

                      >>> On 01/05/2010 06:20 PM, Tim Wright wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> IT's a slightly different setup than that. The Agile PM has two teams that
                      >>> report to him (either through secondment from business or as their
                      >>> managers
                      >>> - we don't do the matrix resourcing anymore). One is the development team
                      >>> and the other is the business experts team. The business experts act more
                      >>> like a customer or product owner.
                      >>>
                      >>> The project is measured (and the PM rewarded) by how well the project
                      >>> meets
                      >>> several "success sliders" and removes roadblocks that hinder the team
                      >>> achieving those measures - as well as identifying external (to the
                      >>> project)
                      >>> things that might impact the team.
                      >>>

                      >>> Interesting. I'm still a little unclear on what that person actually does.
                      >>> You mentioned previously that the project manager is responsible for
                      >>> delivery, but in the fully Agile shops I'm familiar with, it's the team
                      >>> that
                      >>> is responsible.
                      >>>
                      >>> Just so I can understand their function better, what would happen if you
                      >>> didn't have the project manager? If you just had all of those people
                      >>> working
                      >>> as one team with common goals?
                      >>>
                      >>> William

                    • Craig Davidson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                        What do you call the SCRUM master when you are not doing SCRUM? ;-)

                        --
                        Glennette Clark
                        Lazy Smart Creative
                        202-683-9508
                        glennette@...

                        UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                           agile-usability-digest@yahoogroups.com
                           agile-usability-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Anders Ramsay
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                          What you call yourself is usually only important if you don't know what you're  doing. If you know what you're doing and/or are upfront about not knowing, that will speak louder than any titles you might give yourself. The people who are managing the project are the project managers, meaning someone else may very well have that title but isn't actually managing (or shepherding, facilitating, whatever) much of anything.

                          Oh, and it's Scrum, not SCRUM (It's not an abbreviation.)

                          -Anders

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          --
                          Glennette Clark
                          Lazy Smart Creative

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                            I suspect that you could call yourself an Agile project manager. I don't think that the duties, per se, are all that different it is just a matter of which agile methodology you choose to follow. Because I was trained as a SCRUM Master, that is what I called myself. I had another colleague who was not specifically trained in SCRUM who just referred to herself as a project manager.

                            In my opinion, it is a matter of semantics and agile methodology.

                            Glennette

                            --
                            Glennette Clark
                            Lazy Smart Creative
                            202-683-9508
                            glennette@...

                            UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com

                            <*> Your email settings:
                               Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                               (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                               agile-usability-digest@yahoogroups.com
                               agile-usability-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            --
                            Glennette Clark
                            Lazy Smart Creative
                            202-683-9508
                            glennette@...

                            UXCamp DC - Jan. 23, 2010 - http://uxbarcampdc.eventbrite.com
                          • Jared Spool
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010

                              On Jan 7, 2010, at 6:38 AM, Craig Davidson wrote:

                              What do you call the SCRUM master when you are not doing SCRUM? ;-)

                              Bored?