Re: What sort of information would a UCD person suggest analysts collect?

  • tombellman
    Message 1 of 110 , Oct 13, 2004
      Jeff,

      I don't think you can do effective requirements gathering without a
      UCD person either leading, or being an integral part of, the site
      visit team.

      At my company, which makes analytical instrumentation used by
      chemists and biologists, I and the other user experience person give
      a half-day course to teams that are going to be doing site visits. We
      talk about how to make good observations, how to interview, and how
      to record information effectively. We also get them thinking about
      UCD deliverables that will be generated: personas, workflow breakdown
      and environment profile so that they will collect information that
      contributes to these. Ideally, one of us will be with the team, but
      if that isn't possible, at least they are primed to collect useful
      information.

      It helps that management is really behind this. There are a lot more
      projects at the company than 2 of us can handle, but increasingly
      teams are approaching us to get our help at an early stage, and the
      course has been well received.

      Tom

      Tom Bellman
      User Experience Architect
      MDS Sciex
      (905) 660-9006 ext. 2700
      tom.bellman@...

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Patton" <jpatton@a...>
      wrote:
      > I suspect others doing some variation of user centered design might
      have run
      > into this: There's one UCD person on the project, and 4 or 5
      analysts. The
      > analysts rush out and interview lots of users and record lots of
      business
      > processes. They talk directly to the users who tell them what the
      new
      > software should look like. They bring back all this information
      and dump
      > into a document labeled "requirements." "Requirements" are then
      handed to
      > the UCD person who's asked to "do that voodoo that you do." Sadly,
      there's
      > not enough in the requirements about the users and why they're
      doing what
      > they do. And worse than that, if the document was actually
      published with
      > the title of "requirements", there's implicit commitments for
      functionality
      > in it that may or may not be appropriate.
      >
      > In short strokes, there's not enough information to do a good job
      at user
      > centered design. And there's commitments to specific design
      solutions
      > already made that can't easily be backed away from.
      >
      > Is it just me that's seen this, or has it happened to you as well?
      >
      > Assuming you can't change the ratio of analysts to UCD people, and
      the
      > analysts are on their way out the door, can you suggest what
      information
      > you'd like them to gather? [Keep it quick, they have their laptops
      packed
      > and they're headed for the airport...]
      >
      > Seriously, I'd like to help coach analysts on the sort of
      information they
      > should collect that would be most valuable to a downstream design
      solution.
      > Assume they don't understand or have time to understand much about
      UCD. Any
      > advice and experience others might have would be valuable.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > -Jeff

      usability/

      > "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
      > -- PABLO PICASSO
    • Chris Pehura
      Message 110 of 110 , Oct 27, 2004
        Message
        Jon - understood.
        Had similar experiences - dire consequences. They're the main reason I'm always having those stand up meetings, constantly verifying and validating.

        For that mention of "chaos", I was thinking about systematic change in systems.
        Over the years, I identified several for UIs, architecture, user-interaction and source code.
        From playing around, I got a straight forward generic notation and model to explain change.

        Wondering if any of you did or came across such generic "change models" and "notations".